CMH Newb Needs Guidance!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Handleman20, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:

Hi! First post (after trolling about). Trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to hit GM... for NEXT year. The catch is, I have to do it as early in the year as possible so my business runs will give me the 100% as early as possible. The other problem... I'm starting with about 5000 rollover. Any help will be amazingly appreciated with multiple smileys and umlauts (not to be confused with Ugnaughts), I bow to the awesome collective power of the board. :)

DeltaExpert, ryandc99 and rwoman like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Handleman20,

Welcome to MP! A few questions that will help guide you...

Where are you flying to?
    What fare bucket do you/your work normally book? (i.e. cheap coach, flexible/full coach, first/biz)

Thanks and again welcome!
    robin :)

DeltaExpert and Handleman20 like this.
  3. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Robin, I'm willing to fly just about anywhere. My normal (non-biz) runs are to GEG to pick up/drop off my kiddo and my business runs are to ATL, AUS, and BOS currently. I normally fly pretty cheap (but with a bit of wiggle room on the biz tickets) if I can help it but to get what I need I'm willing to put out a bit of $$ to do so, fly to LAX, fly out to AMS, take a crazy 2 day run, whatever it takes to hit that GM and get to my goal for the Moorea trip I've been daydreamin' about.

DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    TATL flights are an easy way to rack up miles and fares can be pretty cheap (comparatively) in the winter. Flying to the West Coast and adding connections can help as well. Adding in segements can also help add up miles.

Fare Compare and Air Fare Watchdog can be useful sites in researching deals.

One thing to keep in mind is redeeming miles on DL at the lowest levels, especially international, can be a real challenge ... not impossible, but it is one of the primary criticisms of the SM program.

:)

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

When you purchase tickets, be sure to notice whether there are any fare classes that give 150% MQMs for not a lot more money. This includes more expensive coach fares, M, B, and full Y, all of which can be upgraded with miles even on international if upgrade inventory is available, plus discount business class S and I and discount FC codes A and P.

If you do your international travel around holiday periods and can plan dates in advance, it could be easy to find reasonable BE discount fares.

DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  6. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    CMH has some great DL fares. I fly from there frequently. The have had some great SFO/OAK deals in the past.

http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html That site allows you to put in your departure city, select Skyteam, and then see the best value for price per mile. Take a look

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a newbie to CMH and will be enjoying some of the wonderful low airfares :).

I've seen two viable options at ~$.06 cpm (not great, but still okay) in December and January: Vegas or Spain (MAD or BCN). You can book a 2.5 day, 2 redeye night CMH-ATL-LAS-ATL-CMH (4.5 hr. layover)-ATL-LAS-DTW-CMH for $430 netting ~8,000 miles. If you feel like going across the pond, ~$700 seems to be the going rate for 3-4 day weekends in Spain.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  8. snc1019

snc1019 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live within 15 minutes of CMH and I have become a connection machine. I never ever boo a direct flight if at all possible. I always have a minimum of 4 connections per trip and when possible fly to airports that get me the most miles without overpaying. I have also found tagging an overnight to airports like SAN or LAX to get the extra miles and many times my fare is lower.

DeltaExpert and n301dp like this.
  9. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sort of off-topic...sounds like a CMH Milepoint DO is needed!

ryandc99 and DeltaExpert like this.
  10. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Anyone have any details on the CMH LAX route being cancelled? I was on it today and some of the passengers I met were talking about it.