Club World London City: JFK-LCY

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by MX, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

What's a more comfortable/pleasant Club World experience to cross the pond for a leisure traveler?

1. JFK-LCY in A318 (flight BA2 or BA4)

57.1%
  2. JFK-LHR in B744

42.9%
  1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone experienced or has an opinion about the business class service from JFK to LCY in the specially outfitted A318's?
    I'm curious about the relative comfort of that option compared to the 744's flying into LHR.
    Is the arrivals service in LCY free with the business class airfare?
    Thanks!

2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I need to be close to LCY this flight is a no brainer for me. Also, keep in mind on the return you will be clearing US Immigration in Shannon and then you can just walk out the terminal in NYC only having to wait for luggage, if you checked any.

3. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    LCY location is convenient, of course. But I didn't like the airport. No departure lounge (and so I assume no arrivals), and we had to take stairs down to the gate (no lifts/escalators), and stairs to/from the aircraft.

We were flying to BCN and back. I remember thinking that it would seem inadequate for business-only US flights. Might the service be different for these US flights specifically?

4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have not flown this but am intrigued by it. Club World on LHR flights are incredibly tight - hard to believe they could fit more seats in there with a shoe horn! This seems much more roomy and, therefore, luxurious.

We are looking to book Scotland next June, 2013 and are considering trying this with out Companion Pass rather than the First Class we have used up to now.

5. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure that someone posted a Trip Report on TOBB a few weeks ago of their LCY-JFK experience. I can't remember what they thought of it, but it's probably worth a quick search.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have only flown LCY-JFK and not the return leg. Outbound flight and probably my preferred way to travel to NYC now.

8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Euan, glad you experienced and liked this option. I agree that LCY's location is a big convenience. But could you perhaps also comment on the flight itself, e.g. the seats, food, or if the smaller plane had more noise & vibration? TIA

9. phraktur

phraktur Silver Member

Status Points:
    MX likes this.
  10. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seat - both forward facing. I prefer normal CW if travelling solo but these work well if travelling with a companion. Good width and no issues with length. Vey comfortable. IFE systems are handed out after departing Shannon. While they don't offer hundreds of movies I had no issues selecting a couple of films to watch.

Food is good and service excellent. A starter and drinks are served going over to Shannon then mains and deserts once the main leg to JFK kicks off.

No issues with noise or vibration.

I would select row 2.

11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    phraktur: thanks for the link - Lucky's report is excellent!
    Thanks to Euan as well for further details and advice!

phraktur likes this.
  12. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will have a great trip. The service is excellent, and you save significant time at LCY both arriving and departing. LCY itself is a small city based airport used predominantly by business travellers. There are no airline lounges, as you are encouraged to arrive 30 mins before your flight. I've cut it much finer and still got on. When you arrive you can be from aircraft to taxi easily within 15 mins, including passport checks and luggage collection.

On board is very spacious. (Though I agree if travelling solo there s more privacy in a regular Club World window seat) and I think the food and bev is a little better too.

13. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I understand what you mean - if you look at a 777 Club World cabin on entry - the 2 x 4 x 2 configuration looks very busy - but once in your seat the amount of personal space is excellent. And the window seats can be particularly private. You might also try the upper deck on 747 - this is very roomy, and not too different to F in terms of seat to space ratio.

14. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying into/of of LCY is like flying out of an FBO, on to your own private aircraft.

Why deal with the masses at LHR?

15. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    As can be seen from that trip report, for the JFK flights BA provides a "lounge" in the gate area. It's a bit basic compared to some other lounges, but it's better than the main waiting area.

In general, if you end up hanging around LCY airside for long enough to really miss a conventional lounge, then either you're not really using the airport in the way that it was intended or something has gone wrong on the day (eg your flight's suddenly been cancelled). The airport's really designed for you to turn up, check-in and fly out. However, security sometimes isn't now as reliably efficient as it used to be, so it's harder to do exactly what you're supposed to here.

Euan likes this.
  16. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed... unlike LHR, etc LCY is designed for those who turn up, check-in 30 minutes (or less) before departure, go through security, 5/10 minutes in the lounge area and then on the plane.

Globaliser likes this.
  17. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm more interested in a better business class experience in a less oppressively overcrowded cabin! Looking to do our 2-4-1 Companion Pass next June and considering Provence. That would mean, if we use LCY, that we would have to change to CityJet at LCY (and AF subsidiary) and fly on to Avignon.

Not checking thru sounds like it would be very difficult. Is it worth it to have the smaller aircraft and better Business Class experience or should I chuck the idea and stick with Heathrow?

Thanks for any feedback.

18. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not at all. Clear immigration, collect bag, walk out through Customs - typical total time under 30 minutes. The check-in desk for your onward flight will be less than 50 yards away, on the same level.

In any event, if you flew BA to LHR, you'd probably still have to collect your bags and re-check them. If you want to use your 2-4-1, you can't easily avoid this because either you'll have to go from LHR to LGW to get your onward flight to MRS (the closest BA station to AVN), or your onward flight from LHR will by definition be on a separate ticket on a different airline not in oneworld.

To avoid re-checking at LHR, you'd have to fly BA on LHR-NCE - and then it's quite a long slog from NCE to anywhere in Provence.

19. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great - thanks for such an informative and comprehensive answer.

20. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LCY is convenient but I like the experience better on a 744.

MX likes this.
  21. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both experiences are entirely different. As to whether one choose the 747 from LHR or the 318 from LCY depends on ones overall expectations.

If you want to sit in a lounge for a couple of hours prior to the flight then LHR. If you've flown CW from LHR many times and want to try something different then LCY. The list goes on and on :)