Club Sobeys end AE partnership in central Canada

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Canadi>n, Jan 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    SOBEYS in Atlantic Canada has always been an AIR MILES partner while last year its stores in western Canada dropped the in-house CLUB SOBEYS program to hook up with Air Miles as a result of its acquisition of SAFEWAY Canada (which has been the western Air Miles partner). Yesterday Sobeys formally announced that it's ending Club Sobeys in Ontario and Quebec (and thus terminating it completely) to partner nationally with Air Miles as of March 27th. This also means that Sobeys will no longer be an AEROPLAN partner.

Which raises the question of what happens at METRO, the current Air Miles partner in central Canada? There has been no announcement about its leaving the Air Miles program but it's highly unlikely two major competitors will be sharing the same loyalty/marketing program. Since LOBLAW and its related brands have their own in-house program, it's not a likely target to become the Aeroplan grocery program, so one can contemplate an announcement any day now that Metro will be joining Aeroplan.

I've never found Air Miles to be as bad a program as most around here. Use it often for short-haul tickets on both AC and AA...the AA bookings being no different from revenue ones so they not only earn mileage but also qualify for elite benefits including comp upgrades. However, the only Sobeys within a couple of kms of my condo (two blocks away) shut down late last year leaving me with Metro as the nearest grocery chain (five blocks away), so my Air Miles earnings will be pretty much restricted to the LCBO (two blocks away) and, if I am correct, I'll be back earning Aeroplan miles in greater numbers soon.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears that METRO will remain an AIR MILES partner in Ontario too. Could get interesting if METRO and SOBEYS compete with AM bonuses. So no AE grocery partner left, just the AE miles earned using various AE credit cards (some of which offer additional miles for grocery purchases).