Club Lounge offerings

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Bay Pisco Shark, May 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Clinton was president the last (and perhaps only time) I was in a US club. So:

What are the various snacks out at different times of the day? (I am particularly interested in "is there enough for a continental breakfast" but we might as well make this a more useful thread)

What are the "house wines/beers?" Am I going to want to vomit after a sip of the white? Or will it stay down, and not unpleasantly so?

Do any lounges have better offerings than others (I don't mean Envoy lounge, just the regular clubs), i.e., LGA or DCA since they are peak business and higher fare markets?

Any other tidbits (and I don't mean the food) appreciated.

2. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    The offerings are pretty standard in all lounges, no special stuff at DCA or LGA for being Shuttle airports nor CLT/PHL/PHX as hubs. Mornings will have muffins, not usually a giant selection but 3 or 4 choices, the coffee is decent (the Flavia machines are actually quite nice but I find the water in most public self-serve coffee machines is not quite hot enough to make an aweseome cup, probably set to lower temps to prevent "I burned myself" lawsuits). Crackers, chips, snack mix and cookies most of the rest of the day, and usually a small selection of fresh fruit which they seem to keep in small baskets/bowls and replenish often rather than stocking a massive bowl. The more stuff that you put in a basket, the more people will shove in their purses, nobody needs 7 apples for a 3-hour flight.

I don't have the brands of the house wines memorized but they're decent, certainly nothing I would buy at a liquor store but it's not vomit-worthy either and the only reason I'd not buy it at the store is, I'm a wine snob. Beers likewise I don't have memorized, because I just don't pay attention; probably 3 choices, one of which will be Bud Light. Nothing fancy though, no microbrews. There are also "upsell" bottled beer and glass wines, which I am also not good at remembering but one of the wines is Callaway (a red).

Is there enough for a continental breakfast: yes if you don't mind it being all carbs but I'd find it a rather boring meal and would rather pay the $6 for breakfast in the terminal. But it won't kill you and I've seen plenty of people load up on the snacks to avoid buying a meal.

Couple of other things-
    PHL clubs (other than envoy lounge) charge $1 for the house beer and wine choices due to their liquor license. The Envoy lounge is actually in a different jurisdiction than the regular ones are, which may explain why it doesn't have the same restrictions; UA RCC in PHL does not charge the $1 but nobody knows for sure if they just have a different license category than the US club or if they're covering the $1 themselves (which would technically be illegal).

BOS club has no liquor license, hopefully it will soon...

At DCA the RCC is accessible from the US gates by shuttle bus as it's in the next pier but I find it to be quite dumpy compared to the US club there.

And many people find the TPA club to be among the best in the system; it's a lovely space, nice tarmac views, massive windows, usually nice and quiet too :)

desert_gecko and Clocktower like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info! For me, it isn't as much about the $6 as it is that usually a muffin and a banana, or a yogurt is sufficient for me. Besides, I'd hate to fill up before my shuttle flight in F :D

4. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was at the BOS club today and still no liquor license. The very pleasant person at the check-in counter says it should be coming soon. (though from this thread sounds like it's been a while). No worries -- what I needed today was coffee.

5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will have muffins and yogurt in the morning. US has been spending a lot of money upgrading their clubs. The new PHX club is very nice. There usually is oatmeal as well.

kellio likes this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LGA US CLUB.jpg

This was my gor-may breakfast!

kellio likes this.
  7. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone tell me about the Envoy lounge in PHL? If I'm booking an Envoy flight to Paris from CLT, and time really isn't an issue, is it worth making a connection in PHL to check it out as opposed to the non-stop from CLT? Anyone been there and used it? How does it compare to other lounges?

8. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The envoy lounge is nice for a US business class lounge but I don't think it's worth a connection for. Take the direct and enjoy.

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one thing about flying Envoy PHL-CDG is A320-200 with the new lie-flat seats, don't know what bird they use CLT-CDG.

10. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think fortunately CLT-CDG is the one international route from CLT where they use the A330-200 year round...(fingers crossed since I booked it yesterday!)