Club Lounge Access

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by ZCT, Aug 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I was reading here that if you are a Star Alliance Gold member you can use the club.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/access.aspx

It says all you need is proof of Gold status and a ticket leaving from that airport on a Star Alliance flights.

However, elsewhere I have read that you can only use the lounge in this way if you are traveling internationally. Does anyone know what the right answer is here? Does having Gold alone grant you access on a domestic flight?

Sunshine7 likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is my understanding of this *A lounge access rule:

Flights within the US are between states within the same country so, therefore, all flight within the US (i.e. domestic) are not eligible for *A lounge access that is available when a *G is traveling internationally. While in the US you must be leaving the country on the same day to be eligible if you are a US resident. One may get *A lounge access if one is a foreigner transiting or staying temporarily in the US (I think). If you buy a ticket in Germany for a flight within Germany, you might not be eligible for *A lounge access. Within the EU, on the other hand, since it is made up of individual countries, flights within the EU are considered international and eligible for *A lounge access benefit for *G. The same thing is true when traveling between Asian countries

IDGflygirl, 8MiHi and Sunshine7 like this.
  3. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the bulleted points under "Credentials Required" are meant to imply that one needs both the Star Alliance Gold Card and a Boarding pass for travel in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight, though I've heard that the boarding pass alone is sufficient if it indicates *Gold status.

8MiHi and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Close, but not completely accurate.

The *A rule is that you need to be *Gold and travelling on a Star Alliance flight departing from that airport (and present the necessary documents to validate this.

A specific exception is made for elites on US and UA, who may not access United Clubs or US airways clubs except when travelling internationally. As a US or UA *G, you have access to *G lounges when travelling domestically, except for those run by UA or US. *G in other programs have access to all *G lounges, including those run by UA and US, when traveling on any *A flight.

This policy is very clearly spelled out by Star Alliance and I believe has not changed any time recently. There's no distinction made between domestic and international itineraries, except for the specific exception carved out for the US-based carriers.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/lounges/lounge-access-policy/

This is why many aim for *G in attractive non-US programs, even (especially?) if their travel is all domestic.

violist, IDGflygirl, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the very minimum you will need a boarding pass AND your passport because the BP will say "carrier (e.g., SQ) * G" on it and it is the authoritative document issued by the operating *A carrier's computer. There has been quite a bit of back and forth on this here, but your BP and valid ID (usually a passport) will get you into almost all *A lounges if you are *G traveling internationally...

8MiHi and Sunshine7 like this.
  6. glovestravel

glovestravel Active Member

Status Points:
    Unless you're in domestic biz class in a country thats not your programs home. Didn't have to show them card with Thai business. but on economy in NRT had to show BP and card.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the business class case is not tied to being outside of your program's home. All flyers in Royal Silk class have lounge access according to Thai's website, and this is generally the norm outside of the US.

The same goes for lounge access via *G status. The only international-flight requirements I am aware of are exceptions to the regular rules written into the policy specifically for UA and US.

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

(DL and AA have a similar exception policy within their respective alliances.)

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is because biz travelers also have lounge access by virtue of their class of service. They would have the carrier's lounge access even if they are not *G, so it is sometimes better than *G because there are places with biz lounges but no *A lounges, although often they are one and the same.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never been to any airport where there is a lounge made available to business class passengers but not *G passengers in Y on the same flight. Do you have any examples?

With Lufthansa lounges the Senator (*G) facilities are better appointed than the Business lounges. Singapore has better facilities for people on SQ metal in C than *G flying SQ Y as I recall (SKL v SK Gold Lounge). I cannot think of any others where the *G/Biz lounges are generally split operationally.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't recall exactly but these are typically regional or domestic airports in China where lounges are not even operated by CA but they just rent them for their biz customers... there are, in fact, lots of such small airports...I seem to recall something like that in Virgin Islands where biz passengers could enter but elite status was no good. The major airports will usually have biz/*G lounges. Go into smaller ones and the picture is different...