club Carlson Visa -- 2 bonus points/$ for gas Nov/Dec

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the mail today: Nov 1-Dec 31 two bonus points per dollar spent on gas. So 7 points/$. Limit 5000 points. Promotion code in letter, so presumably targeted.

Hope next time they pick some other categories (my gas spent is maybe $60 per month) and a time where I don't have AA/Citi and US/Barclays bonus promos running that also both include gas.

tondoleo and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received the same offer and also received the US/Barclays offer but don't know which one is more valuable in general terms!

tondoleo and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My US offer was 5x bonus up to 2500 (for dining, gas and dept/toy stores).
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/barclays-us-airways-bonus-miles-offer.71419/

My AA offer was 3x up to 2500 (for dining, gas, groceries)

I should have no problems shifting enough spend to max out both of these. And I definitely would rather have 6 US miles than 7 Club Carlson points.

The question is: are 7 Club Carlson points worth more than 2 UA miles (Chase Select) or two UR points (CSP), my regular gas purchase cards. But given the little I spend on gas it's not a question I really worry about.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    tondoleo and Kalboz like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I value CC points at no more than 0.5 cent each while US miles are worth more than 3 times as much. I don't know about Chase Select, but UA miles currently stand at 1.8 cents each and will soon devaluated to 1.5 cents or lower. UR points are now worth 1.6-1.8 cents each depending on the redemption and will soon be 1.5-1.6 cents each.

Even though all depends on your travel plans/goals, in general terms, you are right ... US Barclays is best for dining, gas and dept/toy stores spending up to $500 by the end of this year. While Sapphire/Ink on everything else unless you are trying to meet a spending threshold on a different card.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    tondoleo likes this.