Club Carlson replaces goldpoints plus March 31, 2011

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by RicGarrido, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    Big announcement at Carlson Hotels global conference in D.C today.

Club Carlson loyalty program will replace goldpoints plus March 31, 2011.

Club Carlson will have three elite tiers with a new Concierge elite tier at 75 nights or 30 stays a year.

Points earning structure will change. All hotel brands worldwide will earn 20 points per US$1. This raises the earning level for 50% of the properties that was 15 points per $1 for Country Inn & Suites. This also eliminates the currency differential where EMEA was 20 points per EUR for Radisson. Now all Carlson hotel brands will earn 20 points per US$1 worldwide.

Redemption rate for Category 1 hotels is dropping from 15,000 points to 9,000 points. (Still trying to get the details of other hotel categories as I write this on Tuesday Feb 15.)

Club Carlson Concierge elite level is expected to have about 4,000 members when Club Carlson replaces goldpoints plus next month.

Club Carlson Concierge top-tier elite benefits include:
    • 75% bonus points
    • 3,000 points online booking bonus
    • free breakfast
    Free internet will be a benefit for all Club Carlson members across all Radisson hotels worldwide and all hotel brands in North America.

Other major change is elite rollover nights.

There will be new points redemption opportunities for Club Med all-inclusive resorts and CWT Vacations with a portfolio of independent hotels and cruise options.

A small-business loyalty program is also being launched.

Carlson Hotels Press Release, Feb 14, 2011: http://www.carlson.com/news-and-media/news-releases.php?article=2005

I'll have more details tomorrow after a dedicated session on the new Club Carlson program at Carlson Hotels Global Business Conference.

vbroucek, bea61, flyingdawg and 2 others like this.
  2. cr34102
    Original Member

cr34102 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, Ric.

Is it my imagination, or has this program gone through changes disproportionate to their peers?

In&out partnerships, change of CC issuer (now the second cancelled card I've held with them in just the past few years...)

Is this chain a possible merger candidate?

3. nightsdawn
    Original Member

nightsdawn Active Member

Status Points:

• Thanks for this interesting information. I use Country Inns & Suites often - especially when I can get a good deal!

4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx for taking the time to start this thread. Really helpful informaiton. I wonder if catergory changes are on the way as well with the implemenation of this new program?

5. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    Carlson Hotels is a privately owned company. They are planning implementing a five-year expansion to increase their hotel portfolio by 50%. There are more Carlson Hotels (1,071 hotels) than Starwood Hotels globally (about 1,000?).

The company is actually better defining its brands, dumping properties that are not upgrading and looking at launching two new brands for the economy and luxury market segments this decade. Carlson sold its luxury Regent Hotels in 2010. Many of the older Radisson Hotels in America are being dropped and a new flagship Chicago Radisson Blu Aqua will open October 2010.

They are an unlikely merger candidate. The global business conference happening right now is revealing progress after one year of the company's 5-year Ambition 2015 growth plan.

The launch of Club Carlson is an initiative to create a leading hotel loyalty program for the global chain that will be identified closely with the Carlson Hotel brands of Radisson, Park Plaza, Park Inn and Country Inn & Suites.

This is a company organizing for future growth.

cr34102 likes this.
  6. cr34102
    Original Member

cr34102 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Ric. That was really helpful!

7. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this info - I am Gold VIP until Feb 2012, 130,00 points currently in account and about 20 nights already booked for first half of 2011 (including 7 night in three bedroom villa in Dubrovnik @1000 Euro/night) so heaps of points comming. I am particularly excited about the possibility of redemption in all inclusive Club Meds, but will wait for details...So, I will follow this very closely. Perhaps we should ask for dedicated forum for the new programme?

flyingdawg and nightsdawn like this.
  8. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. nightsdawn
    Original Member

nightsdawn Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I agree!

10. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I vote for the dedicated forum as well. I've been pushing more nights to the Radisson and Country Inn brands in the US this year. Ric's assesment that Radisson is dropping properties that haven't or will not upgrade is spot on. Over the past couple of years I've noted the loss of Radisson properties in Denver (the Castle & Airport), Spartanburg, SC, High Point, NC and a couple of others I can't remember off hand. Any effort Carlson makes to improve and strengthen the brand by way of properties and/or loyalty program in North America is much needed.

11. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should be interesting when they officially inform members the collective reaction...in Europe, I do like them as an alternative to some of the bigger chains.

12. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been using them so far exclusively in Europe, one of the drawcards being free WiFi.

This announcement might also be a reason for them not sending me new card yet (current is valid till Feb 2010) and when I was querying it, they said new cards will be mailed in March.

13. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I got this I realise now yesterday from them:

This is to let you know that you will be receiving your new card in April. Please continue to use your existing card until your new one arrives. [​IMG]

14. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got message from Randy - Club Carlson forum will be introduced as a part of changes that are currently under way.

15. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx for the update vbroucek. Looking forward to having our own little corner of the new world.

16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also glad to know Carlson will have its forum on MP and that the chain is growing. I recently enjoyed my stay at the Country Inn in Athens, GA. And I appreciate how quickly and easily they gave me gold as a Priority Club status match (and how I got enough points from one night for another free night [​IMG] )

cr34102 likes this.
  17. cr34102
    Original Member

cr34102 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What did you need to do for the status match, m&s?

18. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
  19. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I sent them an email and attached a copy of my Priority Club Platinum status from my PC account page.

cr34102 likes this.
  20. cr34102
    Original Member

cr34102 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'll use that!

21. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're welcome.
    Also, I recall that they upgraded me in about one day. Very quick and easy !

22. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    flyingdawg likes this.
  23. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx for the post SC Flier. Intresting to read how their current no-fee internet policy actually put them at a cost disadvantage for rooms booked through third party sites.

24. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good result. The scale of the programme means that it should gain some traction.

Although, that said, the size of the hotel chain does not seem to link too closely to the success of the loyalty scheme (at least on MiPo/FT). If it was, Accor would generate as much traffic as Hilton etc.

25. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear this... While I'm sort of switching loyalties at this time, I'm still vested in GoldPoints/Club Carlson and look forward to its unique forum.

miles and smiles likes this.