Club Carlson Premier Credit Card question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by PAinNY, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    I am posting this in the Newbie forum because it's such a basic question but I can't figure it out:)

I just got the card so I understand I will be Gold for as long as I keep the card. I will be staying at a Club Carlson property in Asia- paying not with points - and can't figure out how the point system works.

I read some threads where they say don't pay with the CC because of the 3% fee - pay with the Sapphire card and get 2x points on travel.

Please break this down for me, will I still get a fair amount of CC points if I don't pay with their card
    Thanks so much
    PA

Kalboz likes this.
  2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I would get the booking bonus and then pay with my Sapphire to avoid the foreign transaction fees. You will get the stay points. Calculate the value of the points using the CC vs the foreign transaction fees is another way to look at it.

Kalboz, PAinNY and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can use the card domestically; and earn CC Points there. If you're overseas, use a non FOREX charging card (CSP is a good example) so that you are not hit w/the 3%.

Kalboz and PAinNY like this.
  4. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    What was said previously. You should use a card that doesn't charge a FOREX fee, but the CC Visa is a fine card for CC stays domestically,

vickers, Kalboz and PAinNY like this.
  5. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone, it's what I was sort of thinking but wasn't sure I was on the right track - was wondered if I wouldn't get the CC points if I booked with CSP. So, even though I make my reservation using the CSP card as long as I have my CC number I will still get the points. Sounds good. Thanks for the help
    PA

Kalboz likes this.
  6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're confused because there are 2 ways you can get points for your stay:

1) The 20 points per $1 you earn from having elite status
    and
    2) the 10 points per $1 if you used the Club Carlson credit card

As everyone mentioned, you don't want to use your Club Carlson credit card overseas because of the 3% foreign transaction fee so you lose out on the 10 points per $1 if you used the Club Carlson card. But you will get your 20 points per $1 for your stay.

So in the US if you stay at Club Carlson and pay with your Club Carlson credit card, you'll essentially get 30 points per $1.

PAinNY and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will earn 20 points per $1 as a program member plus 50% bonus for having a GOLD status making your earnings 30 points per $ spent regardless of which card you will be using. See here: http://www.clubcarlson.com/fgp/memberbenefits/home.do

IN ADDITION:

If you use Club Carlson card, you will earn an additional 10 points per $ spent. I value those points at around $5 per 1000 ... so if your room night is $100, you will get "a rebate" of $5 from the credit card spend. Resulting in:
    $100 + $3 (foreign transaction fee) - $5 = $98 out of pocket expense

Conversely, if you use Sapphire card, you will earn 2 points per $ spent. I value those points at around $18 per 1000 ... using the same $100 room formula, you get 200 UR points or $3.60 rebate and no foreign transaction fee:
    $100 - $3.60 = $96.40 out of pocket expense

Unless I missed something, I'd say the Chase Sapphire card is the winner overseas! :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you wrxmo and Kalboz for breaking down the figures. That's exactly what I needed to know - 30 pts per $1 spent sounds like a great deal and I will make the reservation with my CSP
    Appreciate the knowledge on this board
    PA

Kalboz likes this.