Club Carlson- Do you need a AAA card to book the AAA rate?

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by MLW20, Jun 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking of booking a Country Inn hotel and the AAA rate is $17 less than the next cheapest option.

Does anyone know if they will ask me for an AAA card to show as proof? (I am not a member of AAA)
    I can just select that rate online and take a chance but would like to know if anyone has done this with Club Carlson properties...

Thanks in advance for the info!

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will depend on the front desk person and/or the hotel policy.

buschoi, Max M and MLW20 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done it and never been asked yet.

MLW20 likes this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses.
    I've done it before with other things, never with Club Carlson. Going to book it later.

5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been asked for my AAA card maybe 20% of the time.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Precisely.

In my limited experience with Carlson thus far, I was carded for my AAA Member Card 1 out of 1 times on an AAA rate. So be prepared to have to show your AAA card, otherwise I'm not sure what their policy is if you book an AAA rate that you're not eligible for. I have no experience, but if enforced, I hope they would only charge you the best available going rate at time of check-in, rather than the rack rate.

Then again, with HHonors properties, I was only carded for my AAA Member Card only 20% of the times for my stays in 2011.

My suggestion, play it safe and purchase a AAA Membership if you're wanting the AAA Hotel discount.

You might check Groupon on a daily basis; in 2011 my local AAA office offered memberships for more than 50% off for new members 2-3 times in 2011. My AAA membership has more than paid for itself [even if the AAA membership were non-discounted and I had paid full price] and also I like having the piece of mind offered in the event I would someday ever need AAA's roadside assistance. :)

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    a grey area for sure, some will play in.
    agreed

Max M likes this.
  8. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just finished a AAA stay at the Park Inn Houston. Never asked for the AAA card. Just wanted my credit card for incidentals and to shoo me on my way. (I'm sure that it helped to have the lobby TV facing the check-in desk with the sound turned way up and the front desk attendant more interested in the show than in processing guests.)

rharrigill likes this.