Club Access on Reward Nights Possible Without Status

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by ArizonaGuy, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have experience with this? I'm specifically looking for what options may be available for IC properties since I have no Ambassador status. However anyone who can also advise on similar experiences at other Priority Club properties should chime in too.

I'm just a lowly Platinum which means nada at IC's, I'm aware. However I intend to burn off a number of points for several nights in Wellington - either full value or points + cash - and wondered if paying at check-in is ever possible to obtain access to the lounge? If it's reasonably priced I might do it.

Otherwise I'll likely just go for the loungeless Holiday Inn Wellington and hope for free breakfasts and whatever upgrades they may want to give this Plat. :)

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some properties will sell lounge access, and you might want to call the property to check and see. As for price, it is not the greatest, as I have seen some properties sell access for $50 a person.

3. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per person? Meaning for my wife and I they'd charge $100 in that example? Wow. I think I've already made up my mind to go to the HI Wellington. I just don't stay at IC's unfortunately so the $150 Ambassador fee would be a waste - especially since it likely wouldn't get me a club upgrade anyway.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The fee is $200 now! [​IMG]

Many Crowne Plaza properties outside the US will upgrade PC Platinums / provide lounge access.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  5. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I wouldn't drop from an IC to HI just because I didn't get club access (assuming its a good IC). Plenty of other reasons - not enough points for an IC, IC is old, IC has bad location - but club alone is nowhere near enough to swing it.

Bob Smolinsky and Tim O'Brien like this.
  6. ArizonaGuy

I stay nearly always in IC's, last January I went to Detroit for a car rally and had driven from NY and stayed at a HI, having arrived at 3am and I only needed a spot to rest for a few hours, that HI was pretty average, but recently went into a HI in Jersey just off the Lincoln tunnel to book a conference and was really very much surprised with the quality of rooms and general property. So I think it's the individual property that's critical vis Raffles comments re IC.

Having said that, I'd suggest phoning the property and asking them if you are ambassador, what upgrade, club use etc would you get as it will impact whether you stay with them or at another property, you may find they offer you those both as an ambassador (as some do), if they respond in the affirmative, I 'd ask for the person's email and confirm by email, after purchasing your ambassador. The $200 fee for ambassador really makes sense if you'r staying one night at an IC, as the free weekend night pays for it and you get all the other benefits.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  7. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Traditionally the IC WLG has always provided club access for Ambassadors although I have no recent experience

That , apart from acess to the lounge, puts in you in a club level room which provides free internet

Depends how long you stay but Amb membership might be worth it

Jeff

8. gujjuglobal
    Original Member

gujjuglobal Active Member

Status Points:
    I have been given lounge access at CP Beijing, IC shanghai as well as IC Wien last year as a PC Plat. without any hesitation.

Bob Smolinsky and Tim O'Brien like this.