CLT MTC USX-USX?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Funtodoimpossible, Jun 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know what the published MTC is in CLT connecting from one USX to another USX flight?

I have a trip coming up where due to a schedule & equipment change on one segment, the connection dropped from 37 min to 25 min.(Same departure time, just later arrival into CLT.) It's a little close for my comfort since they are supposed to close the door 10 minutes before the flight departs. (I doubt I'm going to see my checked bag at the other end. I don't have a choice with checking a bag on this trip.)

For better or worse, I did check and US is actually selling the rescheduled itinerary if you were making a new reservation. (When making the original reservation, US wouldn't let me book the later connection without breaking the fare.)

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about "official" MCT at Charlotte but even 37 minutes would have been cutting it close, depending on where you're coming from and where you're going.

If you're coming in on one of the RJs, you'll be on E and if you're leaving from B or C it's one of the longest walks you can take if you come into the far E gates.

I wouldn't take a 25 minute connection at CLT unless the gates were literally next to each other.

Funtodoimpossible likes this.
  3. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've had the pleasure of going from E38 to B15 on a connection before. Thank goodness for the moving walkways! :)

It's quite a hike.

Given the choice, a 25 minute connection isn't something I would normally book. 37 min connection is do able, but there is no margin for error, especially if going from USX to US.

The good news is everything is operated by PSA and I'm going from a CR7 to a CRJ, so I should be all in E. (I think Republic is the only USX carrier that doesn't operate out of E.) Up until the schedule & equipment change, it looked like I would have ended up departing on the same plane for my inbound flight would have been on.

viguera likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Did you check online and get one of those "your flights have changed, please accept the changes" when you looked at the PNR?

Assuming you're looking for a way around the potential mess, I'd say you might have recourse for refusing the change if the connection is no longer legal. What that will do in terms of when you can actually fly is another story... :)

But yeah if you're E to E on RJs, you should be good. Assuming there are no weather delays, and you get there and your gate is open, and you can actually get out of the plane and walk over to the other gate which is "right there" and they haven't closed the door by the time you get there. :)

It's cutting it awfully close any way you cut it, but I guess it's doable if all the conditions are right. But if you want to fight it I don't think they can tell you that you don't have a leg to stand on.

5. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I checked online but haven't accepted the change yet. Since I'm currently dirt on US, I wanted to see what the MTC actually was before I attempt to fight it. If it's no longer legal, I think I'll have a higher probability of success in getting it changed, then if it is marginally legal.

Worst case, on the day of travel, I have plans B & C already lined up. :) The big wildcard that day will be weather.

viguera likes this.
  6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a change in schedule by US they should change your schedule to the flights that work for you. Find the flights you want, call them up and ask politely to be changed to those flights (as long as there are seats available for sale). You will not have to pay anything additional for this change...status or not.

Funtodoimpossible and viguera like this.
  7. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just as an update...reservations was unwilling to make this change because I was still within the min connection time for USX to USX. However I'm flying this. today and the experienced a 90 min delay out of ABE blowing my connection to CRW. Reservations got me the last seat on the 10:30 flight to CRW. After i called the 6:30 flight to CRW ended up canceling due to weather.

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    ^ well that's a rather large amount of suck.

9. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Status Points:
    These things happen. I look at it this way it could always be worse. Now I just need to find a gate agent who is not going crazy to print a new boarding pass. Special services has a line across the entire rotunda in E.

10. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    When there are major delays at CLT and the Special Services line gets backed up (and you can't get through on the phone), sometimes you're better off exiting security and and seeing an agent outside the zone. I've had to do this a couple times, but its always a good idea to peak outside the zone to gauge the lines to avoid walking into and even worse situation.

11. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of the reasons why I love my club membership - being able to access an agent immediately and they more detailed status updates.

If you have the US Airways Credit Card (Plat, World Elite, or Business) you get a complementary club pass, which could be useful in these cases.