CLT-DTW Family Advice Requested

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by misman, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a Delta flyer, so I need some assistance for a friend from my fellow MPers.

Situation: Friend is flying CLT-DTW on Friday, 4/15. Will have in tow spouse, three youngsters, and mother with a walker. You well know that this means a bit of luggage (planning on checking it all,) as well as carry-on stuff to keep the kiddies occupied. It would be best to get mom into a wheelchair at CLT, as well as for pick-up in DTW... just to make things go smoothly.

With this little bit of info, what info can be provided to him to make his airport transits a little easier?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without elite status, FC, or a DL credit card, there's a charge for every bag, but you save a little (IIRC, $23 rather than $25 for each person's first checked bag) by doing OLCI, I hope they've already reserved seats. Some bulkhead seats are designated for special needs and assigned at the airport.

For the wheelchair, it would be best to call DL forty-eight hours in advance. If everyone is on the same PNR, you might want to think about splitting it (again, call DL) because I think the wheelchair request will prevent OLCI.

The regular AmEx Plat card gives lounge access (DL SCs when flying DL), but you should check their definition of a family. You can also buy SC day passes on line for $50 per person if you decide this is worthwhile or $90 for a thirty-day membership.

misman likes this.
  3. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    make sure the WCHR request is entered in the reservation record (PNR), call DL (or request online?). get an Gold SkyMiles card, so the 1st checked bag of each pax, including children(?) is free. And good luck! ;-)

misman likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there's time to get a DL AmEx card by Friday, not would one want to do so if they never fly DL.

Yes, the free bag benefit is for everyone on the same PNR, up to 9. They don't have to be family. It would apply to any children with tickets. The bag rules for lap children are different.

misman likes this.
  5. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can have each passenger get his / her bag through the x ray machine (that is, assuming the youngsters have their own miniature rollerbags...), you could gate check the bags all the way through for free and avoid the sticker shock of having to check them curbside or at the ticket counter.

misman and MSPeconomist like this.
  6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for the info so far. Couple of follow up questions:
    1. Do you know where my friend should meet the wheelchair rep to get the chair? Would be better if the chair could meet mom at the car, and not in the terminal.
    2. What is the going rate for tipping the wheelchair folks?

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. No idea. They might be restricted to inside the terminal building, so that she'd have to use toe walker to the entrance. Since you and your wife are both going, one could go inside to get the wheel chair guy (perhaps to the special services check in counter area, if there is one at the airport) and then accompany to the car/entrance.

2. My guess would be $5 for OK service, more if the person is especially considerate.

8. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I highly do not recommend this approach, because if the bags are big, then you will have to go back to the gate to check them in and wait in line again for security...

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the bags get through the security point, you gate check them at the gate for free. At that point, you won't be sent back to the counter and you won't have to reclear security. However, if you stand in the security line and then TSA says the bags are too big, you must get out of the line and return to the checkin counter and its lines.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right that's what I was saying

11. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was? :)