Clouds

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Captain Oveur, Dec 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts on which Cloud to use? Dropbox or iCloud?

Company already uses Dropbox, thinking about iCloud for personal files (music, documents, calendar).

Have iPhone 4S and iPad2, leaning towards getting Mac Book Air 15" (rumored to be coming out in Q2 2012). I have a Thinkpad right now.

Any thoughts on the clouds?

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are not mutually exclusive. iCloud has some very nice features that you won't find on Dropbox and visa versa. I think iCloud is great for contacts/cal if you don't have exchange. It is also nicely integrated with all the apps you use/ iTunes media you buy if you are in the Apple ecosystem. It is not at all good for docs in my mind (iWork is just not up to par with Office) and Photostream is nice though it is not a back up in the classic sense for your photos. Drop box works really well if you are on a desktop most of the day and just want to have a backup that you can access remotely from anywhere at anytime or if you are syncing files between two desktops. I also think the Microsoft solution, like most of there recent products, is vastly underrated in my mind it is much more simple than Dropbox if you are primarily just looking at getting backups of your desktop in the cloud so you can view them id need be.

3. Denny
    Original Member

Denny House of Miles Staff Staff Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest using both. As adambadam stated, iCloud has great tie ins to your Mac / iPhone / iPad things but I have both and use both all the time. Dropbox is great to share files back and forth easily from home and work or put a file in a public box and send a link to a friend to view or download. iCloud is not more of a Google offering seeing it's free. (email, calendar, contacts, docs). So seeing both are free, it never hurts to have tons of free space to store / move your stuff in the cloud.

I can't pass up the opportunity to say use my link and I get some free extra space on my dropbox account if you sign up: http://db.tt/HkQRayEK

If you have specific questions about either service, please ask and I am more than willing to explain or show how something might work.

4. Denny
    Original Member

Denny House of Miles Staff Staff Member

Status Points:
  5. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts on the pros and cons of SugerSync? It has 5Gb storage free, but that's about all I know about it.

6. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use Dropbox and iCloud. So fire them both up and decide which one works best or just have both.

7. msny

msny Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got a Pogoplug (series 4) - https://pogoplug.com/ from my boss for Christmas.

I'm not entirely sure how I will use it, but it looks cool with options to use SD cards/external HD's/etc as your own personal cloud. Anyone have experience with it?

Dropbox is great. We use it for a small business to sync/share files. I honestly haven't used iCloud much (and I have a iPhone and iPad...oops)

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've used the pogoplug products for a few years. As other products they do server a purpose, plug in any external device, card, etc. and boom, it can be online and addressable by all your devices or you can share info with others, etc. One of the issues though is the transfer of data back and forth to their servers, but the products have come a long way in the past couple years. Think of it as a NAS with your data, basically anywhere.

Different than dropbox which is basically cloud storage and different than icloud which is ALSO some cloud storage but IMHO more of a calendar/settings/email/files syncing service across IOS and some other devices.

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think I'm going to use Dropbox for personal files (not TOO personal, mind you), and iCloud for the media files.

Denny, my Dropbox referral has already been spoken for by a couple of people, but if I could give it to you, I would.

Now, on to ripping the 600+ CDs I have.

Thank you everyone for your take. And Happy New Year!

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use a whole bunch of cloud storage solutions:

- Google Calendar/Contacts/Docs
    - Evernote
    - Dropbox

Even though I am fairly Appleified (iPad, iPhone, MB Air), I don't use iCloud at this time.

I ripped all my CDs (around 300, I believe) a few years ago, to MP3 and FLAC (loss-less compression, so I can always get back to the original). There are some tools that let you do that for each CD in one shot, so no extra effort. The original CDs are all in a couple storage boxes in the garage.

Which reminds me... need to really upload a bit of that to Google Music.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Someone else made the suggestion to me about the FLAC option. That's not as important to me, but I am ripping the music to 192 quality on MP3 rather than the standard 128.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never actually used the FLAC files, but since disk space is cheap and since it wasn't any significant extra effort, I did it back then. My main thought was that if MP3 was ever replaced with a different (better) format, it would be best to convert from a loss-less format than from an already lossy-compressed format to another.

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense.