Closure of lounge guesting thread over on FT

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by effseeoh, May 6, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know why it was closed? The BA FT dictators won't say and nobody seems to know. At least it can be discussed here without being sent to the naughty step?

About Again and uggboy like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They even removed to post...

Someone must has said a nasty thing...just delete the nasty...

Trump must have pulled rank...

Mrp Alert likes this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trump has his own airplane.

I wonder if he'll have to charge the RNC if he uses it during the campaign after he's formally nominated? And would the charges the press pays to fly with him be considered income to the campaign, or to him personally (and thus taxable)?

All sorts of new issues to be considered . . .

5. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I read the closure notice, but it doesn't tell you anything. It just shows contempt for the members who've been using and posting to that thread for many years.

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the thread needs to be closed because of abuse, what else do you expect the moderators to say?

Anyway, there is another notice about it. Have you read that one?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you ask the moderators? I think the announcement invites messages via personal messages.

Were you a participant in the thread? If so, can you describe what was going on in the thread recently?

8. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did offer to guest in the thread many times, but they were only taken up 2 or 3 times. I certainly would not ask the moderators as they've shown themselves to be capricious and vindictive. I've no idea what happened.

Globaliser: if the thread "needs" to be closed, I would expect the moderators to have the decency to explain why.

9. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally the moderators have spoken. Afer multiple thousand guest requests/offers, there have supposedly been a couple of people who have offered/requested money for guesting. What a pitiful explanation.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty much what I suspected was the explanation.

And bartering is a violation of the terms of conditions of FT, as far as I know.

I have only been in the LHR lounges a few times (as a premium cabin customer, not guest) and given how crowded they were, enforcement of access rules seems desirable.

newbluesea likes this.
  11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have no idea what happened, how have you formed the view that the mods are capricious or vindictive? Is that based solely on their closing that thread? How could you conclude that they are capricious and vindictive without knowing anything more about their reasoning or the considerations that went into the decision? Or have they acted capriciously or vindictively in other instances?
    Not only have they now said a little more, they have also explained why they could not say any more earlier. And the reasons for that are as obvious now as they were before, don't you think?
    From what do you derive the estimate "a couple of people"?

And do you think that this has been the full extent of the abuse? If so, you might want to read that post again, more carefully.

12. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've plenty of experience of petty, vindictive behaviour of the FT mods. Anybody who's been on FT for any amount of time will have plenty of examples of that. Much of it is to current and ex-users of the site.

Yes, they finally said something now, after over a week. Pathetic.

I'm quite capable of reading the post, and the complete lack of evidence in it. Given the absolutely tiny amount of guesting that appears to occur due to that thread, it's pretty obvious that the BA FT mods are just trying to flex their fascist muscles as usual.

13. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've offered to guest dozens of times and been taken up 2 or 3 times in LHR T5. Given that thousands pass through the lounges every day, and other people also report a 1-2% rate of guesting offers being accepted, it's safe to say that that the FT guesting thread does not have any appreciable effect on crowding.

Also, "enforcement of access rules" is not relevant. They are enforced.

newbluesea likes this.
  14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I suspect the changes to the FT guesting policy were as a result of a two fold set of circumstances.
    a) It was being abused (somewhat) as outlined above... but more to the point .
    b) BA brought some pressure to bear on FT and they just caved.

It doesn't take much inspection to realize that the FT BA board appears to have much more BA employees posting there than any other board and their influence plays a significant and disproportionate setting of the overall tone there.
    Added to that the mods there have mindset sort of if you are not a BA fanatic then you are against "us" How else do explain the resident SA located Evangelist troll who has by far the most posts on that board yet he rarely ever flies . I bet he hast taken one flight so far this year (or does anything else related to travel) but spends his time denigrating and accusing BA critics of lying?
    The mods are scared s***less of reigning him in and that's likely because they agree with a lot he posts.

That said it not the first time a company has cowed FT into submission.
    Remember the pressure AA put on them to ban members from posting fare discount codes? or even more recently National Rental Car did the same by actually threatening to take a member and FT to courts over the thread containg corporate or group discount codes?
    You wont find any of either of those animals on FT if you search high or low..

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  15. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that the closure of the thread was anything other than stroking the ego of the mods so that they could exert their power. LTN phobia absolutely hates the fact that any of the lower classes should be allowed to exercise the guesting privileges that BA status provides. She travels in F with her husband in Y and I doubt she even guests him into a lounge in case it pollutes the atmosphere.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you think it's such a terrible place, why do you use it? Or for that matter, why does anyone use it?

17. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be nice if there were an alternative, but the BA forum on here is all but dead.

Anyway, my posting days on FT are more or less finished now.

18. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Listen: You are not a court, you were not the decision-maker, and you have no right to demand evidence. You have had an explanation; however, given the attitudes you evince, you would clearly remain unsatisfied by any amount of evidence given that you already have a fixed and unalterable view (aka prejudice) about the outcome.

All you have done in these posts is to shine the spotlight on your own inadequacies. You make yourself sound like a small child with a large chip on their shoulder, bearing a long-term grudge about some past occasion when they broke the rules and didn't like being caught.

Moreover, you clearly do not know any of the FT BA board mods, let alone being in any fit position to make personally offensive remarks about them. You could not be more wrong.
    Just because of the closure of one thread? One is almost tempted to ask how much money you were making out of guesting!

Anyway, this decision sounds like it would be better for everyone all round.

19. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello Globaliser, so nice to hear your point of view.

Evidently, to the disappointment of the mods, it's inevitable that some form of the guesting thread will re-open. Miraculously, they've allowed the forum members to discuss a moderator action, which as we all know is a terribly forbidden normally. Only elsewhere may we discusss such hallowed activities. As can be seen from the thread, the sentiment of the FT members is that the mods should not have taken such a disgraceful action in the first place.

[space left free for globaliser to have last word]

[]

20. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once again, we seem to be reading different threads.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's so "amusing" then that you come here to whine and moan about the behavior of the moderators over there instead of trying to contribute to the success of this site. Your last post here before this thread was a year ago.

22. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Globaliser. I see you're a moreflyingtalk clique member with the rest of the BA FT mods. Presumably that's where the real discussion is taking place then? Is that where they discuss resurrecting banned FT members like krug as oscietra against FT rules?

HaveMilesWillTravel: True. I did want to become active here, it's just that there's hardly any discussion of the flying programmes that I'm in, i.e. oneworld and BA. There are a handful of BA threads this year.

newbluesea likes this.
  23. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not in complete agreement with your sentiments on the original topic BUT I must say that I totally agree with your comments in this quote.
    The Krug incident which actually has been brought up (and then closed down) multiple times is one of the more glaring examples of the "old boy" network alive and well on the BA FT board.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  24. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both of these sentences are incorrect.

25. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    newbluesea likes this.