Closing the "Alerts" drop-down after checking new alerts

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by jonman21, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jonman21
    Original Member

jonman21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not quite a "bug" but more of a feature request..

I'm used to the Facebook-like behavior of checking my new alerts by clicking on the "Alerts" link in the upper-right, and then if I don't want to dig deeper into any of the alerts, clicking on the "Alerts" link again to close the drop-down and return to the page I'm reading.

Right now, if I click on the "Alerts" link again while the drop-down is active, it takes me away from my current page and brings me to a separate page of my Latest Alerts.

I'd love it if there were an "X" icon to close it while it's active or if it'd mimic the Facebook notifications behavior of clicking on "Alerts" again to close it.

Thanks!

mowogo likes this.
  2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been burned by this a few times myself. No matter how we may feel that one design is better, many people here have been spoiled by the years of development and styling of Facebook and so naturally expect for similar functions on other sites to function the exact same

jonman21 likes this.
  3. Yup, this is certainly needed.

4. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just place my cursor on it and a drop down appears with the most recent alerts. I don't bother clicking on it to take me to another page unless I want to view more than the 5 it shows. To close the drop down list I click up in the header somewhere and it shuts.

5. that would be great, yes please :)

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found that if you just click elsewhere on the page, away from the Alerts box, it closes. Isn't that easy enough?

travelingmore and kiwi like this.
  7. jonman21
    Original Member

jonman21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I discovered that too - but that's why I called it a feature request as opposed to a bug.

Like mowogo mentioned about in his reply, it'd be nice to be able to mimic a behavior that many users are already familiar with.

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given how many alerts I get I tend to expand to show all anyway, which brings up a full page instead of the popup.

9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The size of the drop down versus the size of the window has been my challenge. I sometimes can't get to the show all option at the bottom (and have since learned I can click on the alerts option itself to go to 'show all') or see all the alerts listed without scrolling. If you scroll, the alert window closes and then you're too low to get back to the alerts button at the top to open the pull down again.

It seems MP is best when used the browser is in full screen mode, something I rarely do when browsing.

10. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a similar topic, please could the yellow highlighting be made to persist a little bit longer after the drop-down box has opened?