Closing Citi card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by joykid, Mar 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    I got approved for my 1st Citi Executive AAdvantage Mastercard on Jan 30, 2014. My statement closed on Feb 13, with annual fee of $450 posted and 100k miles already transferred to my AA account since I had meet the minimum spending. Now that I got approved for my 2nd card. I want to cancel my 1st card and keep my 2nd card.
    My questions:

1. Since I am still within the 30 days since the AF posted in last statement, I am still eligible for the AF of $450 to be refunded, right….so I already paid all of my balance on my 1st card except $450, so I still have a balance of $450 on my 1st card. If I closed my card, the AF will be refunded and it will satisfy the $450 leftover balance that I have, isn’t it?

2. I’ve heard that closing the card via secure message is better and easier than phone, is that true? If so, I plan to write a secure message as follows: “Dear Citibank, please close my AAdvantage Mastercard credit card account ending in XXXX, and please refund the $450 annual fee”. Or is it better just say “Please close the card” and not mention anything about annual fee refund?
    If you have experience with closing CC account via secure message and have better draft, please kindly share.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

2. glocklt4

glocklt4 Active Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with the annual fee refund. Great that you got your 100k to post so quickly though. Yes, secure message is easier than waiting to talk to first line rep on phone, then second. I bet if you are offered a refund it will not be full $450. Amex (and probably Citi) prorates an annual fee if you cancel early. Either way, if you accomplish a refund let us know please!

iolaire likes this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had good luck with closing accounts by SM but have never tried to claw the annual fee back. I assume it doesn't matter whether you mention that you want the annual fee back, that will probably be done automatically. But I don't see how it can hurt. Generally with Citi I've had no trouble with an SM like this, though you may find that you get an SM back asking questions or whatever and you may be forced to call. This will certainly be easier for you if the SM works so take a shot.

Now I assume you are aware they might "notice" this and think you aren't a good customer and perhaps not approve you for credit cards in the future. I have no idea whether it will affect your ability to apply in the future or not, but it seems like a possibility.

BTW you should have already seen a $200 credit on your account since that was part of the deal. You didn't mention that, just checking.

You also might want to read the full terms & conditions of the offer you applied for to make sure they aren't going to claw back the $200 credit or the miles or whatever. Just suggesting being careful here.

4. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    So do you think it’s better just say “Please close the card” and not mention anything about annual fee refund? Or ask the AF to be refunded?

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second that. What you describe looks very fairly shady. Maybe they don't care, but if I was asked to explain such an action it would be hard for me to justify it... In my book the 100k miles is worth the fee and it would be best to carry the card for the year.

I would say something along the lines of "I accidently got two cards, please close this first card."

LETTERBOY, MX and gconnery like this.
  6. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot, yes I read the T&C , it states the AF will be refunded as long as you close your card within 30 days since the AF posted in your statement. Some folks in FlyerTalk also reported that they have been able to get the 1st card closed after getting their 2nd card, without their miles being clawed back.
    Yes I already have $200 credit posted too. But I already have 2nd card which I plan to keep.
    So maybe it’s better to just send a Secure Message and just say please close this card immediately. Rather than mentioning about AF to be refunded and they get suspicious and asked me a lot of question and tell me to call if I want to close.

7. papapit2

papapit2 Member

Status Points:
    Just curious how you all ended up with 2 Citi Exec. AA MC's . Was one on auto approval and the second a call to Recon?
    Need to research the spacing on Citi cards apps.....was it one one day the second 8-10 days later? Had to write to the
    Citi Exec Office last October to get a Citi AA Platinum approved. They seem to tighten their approval quotas on multiple
    cards even when they are different products.....Any thoughts......Thank you

8. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    mine was 14 days gap and both have to call recon, did you get approved for 2nd?

9. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    I heard that if we close the 1st card now , there is a possibility having the sign up bonus clawed back from our AA account. I heard that one should wait until 10 months after you get a credit card to cancel a credit card. If you try to cancel too soon, Citi might ban you from getting future cards. Is this true and what do you suggest given my situation (first Citi card ever). If you were me, will you pay $500 + the vanila reload fee ($250 for each card after $200 statement credit) for 200,000 miles?

10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally yes, I value the Citi relationship far beyond that. I have no idea if they will blacklist you, but my recommendation is to try to look sort of like a good customer.

joykid, gconnery and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. I've gotten 9 American Airlines credit cards from Citi over the last two years. I expect to get a lot more over time (I'm currently trying to ignore the CitiBusiness 50K offer). I wouldn't want to do anything to sour my relationship with Citi. The $250 fee is nothing in comparison. I wouldn't cancel early myself. I understand others are more aggressive. I have no idea if it will cost them or not.

iolaire, joykid and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. joykid

joykid Member

Status Points:
    Ok I guess I will pay the AF and keep both of the cards, eventhough I feel kinda hard to pay that amount LOL.....I meant, if we can save $250...then why not....it can be use for many things like foods and pay other bills...but just my thought.

13. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could call and see if they will give you a retention bonus. Some people have mentioned success with that on flyertalk

14. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I Called to close AA AMEX and was inmediatly waived $95 Annual Fee plus 1000AA Bonus miles a month for 16months per $1,000spend so yes they will offer retention in my case i accepted :)

15. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a common retention offer for that card

gconnery likes this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some are closing the account and some are even applying for 3 or 4 cards...

I believe in Karma, what goes around comes around, and the Citi Boys can keep score.

I am in this for the long run, and have seen AA and Citi slap more than one hand, by freezing their accounts.

gconnery and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The good news is AA miles are great and you'll earn 2X AA miles for each month you spend $1,000 on the card. The bad news is its only 2X. But hey, unless you have required spend to hit, 2X air miles, each probably worth 2 cents each, or at least 4%, is a pretty good deal.

18. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks? :eek:

gconnery and LETTERBOY like this.