Close but not close enough to 1K

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Aim, Dec 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Aim

Aim New Member

Status Points:
    Greetings all,

I'm new to the forums here and wanted to get some feed back. I'm short about 45k PQM to reach 1K,but i do have the $10K PQD requirement. I've had the opportunity to purchase PQM but for the last 2 trips they are have been very expensive...about .42 cents per miles...no one in their right mind would spend $4200 on 10k miles. Any other tricks or tips to buy PQM at a discounted rate?

Thanks for your help

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you meant to say 42 cents/mile rather than 0.42 cents/mile, which is truly ridiculous.

I am being offered exactly what you need, 45K PQM, for half your cost, but it is still just as ridiculous:

upload_2014-12-20_3-48-59.png

i.e. $9,495/45,000 = 21.1 cents/mile.

The rule of thumb is to never purchase PQMs at the end of the year when UA figures people who are just short will be desperate so they jack up the PQM costs. I would not characterize 45K as "just short" because you are not even Platinum yet, and even getting to that status (20K PQM) would cost you a bundle. My advice, therefore, is that you should just walk away with premier Gold, which is eligible for *G benefits, and aim higher next year...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Counsellor, Newscience and daninstl like this.
  3. Aim

Aim New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm actually already Platinum. I have 92k PQM but 38k of them came from my Presidential Plus card which do not qualify for 1K.
    I guess I will keep an eye on it better next year or maybe I'll get lucky and I can purchase them this year for a lot less.

Newscience likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way too far away from 100k to make buying an attractive proposition. You'd be better off saving the money to buy the benefits (upgrades?) a la carte next year.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. No way that buying 45k is a smart investment IMO. Also a shame that you wasted so many FlexPQMs by transferring in more than you needed. :(

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't so bad. DL is selling MQMs at personalized prices that for high tier elites are about $2000 for 10,000 MQMs.

Newscience likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    45k away isn't really close. Just go with what you have.

8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Platinum gets you most of the 1K flying experience without all the angst of worrying about your GPUs clearing.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA is now offering me 30,000 PAMs for $2,970 or 9.9 cpm for exactly the same itinerary that they wanted 21 cpm just a little over 2 weeks ago. The demand for PAMs must've come done down to near zero...;)

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they count for 2014 or 2015?