Clearing security after customs at PHL - advice needed

Discussion in 'PHL | Philadelphia International Airport' started by Scottrick, Sep 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Background: Despite telling myself that I will never fly on US Airways again, I still get dragged back every couple years or so. This is my first time traveling them internationally, as I got in on the JK mistake fare to MAD/BCN this summer. Despite the awful seats in coach -- truly, truly awful (and I normally don't mind coach) -- the duty free selection looked appealing.

Johnnie Walker Blue is only $142 compared to well over $200 in Seattle, and I finally have the means to justify it at the lower price. Do I have to pass through security again after clearing customs at PHL? If so, I guess that means I have to put the bottle in my checked luggage. Is it worth the risk? Does US deliver duty free goods at arrival post-security, avoiding this issue? I've honestly never seen anything worth buying before, so any advice is welcome. I believe I'm connecting in the same terminal if that's helpful.

SQ LPP likes this.
  2. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, you have to go through domestic screening once you come into a U.S. hub from a international flight to connect. I would wrap that bottle up in multiple layers of clothing to give it some protection. Unless you have a hard shell suitcase chances of breakage are high. Risk is based on individual tolerance :)

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't specifically know the international to domestic set-up at PHL, but AFAIK every incoming passenger at a USA airport (except those coming from Canada, etc.) must be rescreened for security before boarding a connecting flight or mixing with other cleared passengers because they have had access to checked luggage. Also, TSA doesn't apparently trust airport screeners in places like LHR, FRA, NRT, etc.

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may want to get some newspapers before you get off the plane. A few weeks ago, I was able to have a nice wine bottle in my checked luggage, and wrapped it in about 6 sheets of newspaper, and it survived unscathed.

5. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, once you clear immigration and customs at PHL, to connect to domestic flight, you have to go through security check again, which will not allow you to carry anything larger than 100 ml. Thus, you have to check-in your JW Blue. If you have a check-in bag, wrap all your dirty clothes around the bottles. I did that last time from JFK to SFO, and the bottle was not broken. :)