Clearing customs on multiple flights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by richardwoolsey, Sep 16, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. richardwoolsey

richardwoolsey New Member

Status Points:
    I am flying from LAX to Madrid, ending my flight in Biarritz, France. I am carrying on my luggage and have separate tickets for Madrid and Biarritz. Which airport to I clear customs? Madrid or Biarritz.

Garp74 likes this.
  2. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    In terms of immigration (passport control), you will enter the Schengen area in Madrid going through imigration.
    Accordingly, on your next flight you will walk out of the airport in Biarritz without going through passport control as your flight is inside the Schengen area.

The above has no connection to whether or not you are on separate tickets, or the fact you are only travelling with carryon luggage. It would happen that way regardless.

If you had checked hold luggage, where you would deem to have taken them through actual customs (I.e. control of goods/possessions as opposed to immigration - control of persons) would depend upon whether they were checked only to Madrid (and needed to be rechecked) or through checked direct to Biarritz.
    If the luggage was through checked it would be Biarritz, if only checked to Madrid it would be there.

However none of this would adjust where you go through the immigration (passport control) answer above, which is I think what you are really asking about, and would be Madrid.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Counsellor and Garp74 like this.
  3. petmar

petmar Member

Status Points:
    I have a related question....for a first-timer in the miles arena, I'm looking at the option of choosing a connecting flight(s) for a trip ATL-LHR. Something like Atlanta-Boston-Dublin-London. Looking for suggestions on planning the length of stops so I have enough time to clear customs and make connections, and whether $ saved is worth the extra hassle over a non-stop.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The amount of time to allow yourself varies significantly based on which airlines are involved, where the connection is and whether it is on a single booking or not. Dublin has two terminals and the walk between them could be enough to mess you up, but you might not have the walk depending on the airlines involved in your itinerary.

5. petmar

petmar Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at Aer Lingus. I can plan ahead for the domestic legs, ATL-BOS, I just don't have experience with the customs/immigration part for DUB-LHR (or Gatwick). Should I allow 2 hours, 4, more?

Thanks

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If all on a single Aer Lingus ticket then 2 hours is more than enough and you're protected if the flight in to Dublin is delayed. If separate tickets or airlines I'd likely add more time.