Clearing Customs in Madrid

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sharris503, Aug 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to book LAX-MAD-BRU. I have 1 hour and 20 minutes to make connection in MAD for flight to BRU. Is that enough time to clear customs and make the connection? We carry on so no need to pick up baggage and will be flying in business.

2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't clear customs in Madrid, only passport control/immigration as you're entering Schengen.

Assume this is on Iberia? If so, then yes but not a lot of time for dallying. Use the elevators rather than escalators to get down to the train level to go from T4S to T4.

3. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like there was time change on my connections and now I have 1 hour and 5 minutes to make my connection from 4s to 4. I am in business class, at the front of the plane, and carrying on. I assume this is still enough time but will be close. Thoughts? I'm considering changing the reservation to leave the next day and spend one night in MAD but I don't want to pay the chagne fee with AA. Anyone have any experience getting them to waive the fee when the change makes it difficult to make a connection?

4. chrispy85

chrispy85 Member

Status Points:
    Hey, you shouldn't have any problems in Madrid. The transfer from 4 to 4S takes about 15 minutes and you won't have to go through customs at all. If you do have to go through passport check in Madrid, it's a quick no-eye-contact affair that doesn't take more than 5 minutes. I wouldn't spend the night, rather I'd just hurry a bit in the airport itself and you'll be fine. Good luck!