CLEAR STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON SIGNING UP FOR MEGA-DOs

Discussion in 'SMD4 (Star MegaDO #4)' started by ThunderStorm, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Have You Been Clear On How To Sign-Up for Mega-Dos?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. ThunderStorm

ThunderStorm Active Member

Status Points:
    Can someone please put up a "Sticky" on CLEAR "steps" for how to sign-up for the Mega-Do?? I get the emails but they are very "in-the-know" ... whatever....

I tried to email Gleff and Tommy and FireFly (Melinda? -- something after a post about "panties in a bunch") to get attendance to the Launch Party in order to get a better understanding but they didn't respond... I was #348 or something on that list.

Someone told me the last one sold-out in seconds -- whereby elsewhere I've heard the sale period went all the way from June 24 to July 14 as there were additional remaining seats that came available left unsold (how does that happen when people have bought them online already?).

HELP!

I got random emails on certain days saying some kind of registration would start in 2 hours time -- Hell what if you're in the midst of travels reading emails on your phone?? This group of all people should know what that is like.

Its almost as if we need a "SCHEDULE" of "SIGN-UP" EVENTS!! Meaning a schedule of things that lead to a sign-up.

AGAIN ON JULY 3rd, I DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE EMAIL WAS TRYING TO SAY!! And why is everything on Eastern time? Can we have something more amenable to the West Coast such as 10am Pacific/1pm Eastern? And do you have to keep refreshing the page at that time?

Even today when I look at the $999 price for the ticket, I have no clue is this only for the Domestic portion or is this for the Entire trip including the International one?....because I had read many, many, many discussions on how these were separate and where people could make one but not the other and what not.

There was/is just way too much confusion and I would like to request you to please, please post clear step-by-step instructions for newbies and don't just make it for people "in the know" alone that have been on these trips many times before.

Thanks.

iolaire likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    $999 is not for the international and domestic combined. send a private message to Ed (pizzaman) and I am sure he can give you any info that you need. He has been very helpful to me.

Travelsavant likes this.
  3. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of your criticism is on the mark. There could have been better updating of the message#1 to let people know what was happening. Or lock down the announcement thread so it doesn't get so cluttered with social messages that people miss the important stuff. Best anyone can do now is subscribe to all the megado threads and try to anticipate what will be happening. All megado registrations, pre-parties fill up -very- fast. You have to watch carefully and often.

4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure the 'panties in a bunch' post was part of the TATL BF sign-up directions...

For things like MegaDo's, where things happen quickly - it is best to make sure to 'watch' the thread(s) and ask for email notifications. Even so, if an announcement is made via a new thread, you can miss out. All I've done is keep up to date on the relevant forums. Usually someone in charge will make an announcement that "XYZ will go on sale MMM-DD @ HH:MM CT" - use that as a guideline re: when you need to be active and on the MP site.

I also think that process is evolving with each MegaDo.

e.g. For this 'do (SMD4), they offered up Int'l Econ tickets on a Sat. night, you had to be one of the first 35 to email firefly and wait for confirmation from her. Int'l BF were made available on Mon.... If you were confirmed on the TATL, then you were guaranteed a seat on the domestic (also @ an add'l cost)......

If you really want to go, you need to be vigilant and persistent...

Good Luck...

5. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have mentioned its best to hang out in the SMD4 forums to "get the scoop" on all of it.

As for the time zones most are Central Time not EST. if you think that's bad for west coast participants, it's even worse for others in other countries (where 9am CST may be close to or after midnight local time).

The people who managed to get on the international portion were given the right to purchase a seat on the megado itself before tickets went on sale to the general public. When the remainder of seats were released for general sale they did indeed sell out in a matter of minutes. A lot like many concert tickets. There was effectively pre sale and general. And if you weren't able to be in front of an Internet connection to try and secure a seat, it is unfortunate.

6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will be my first MegaDO and as a newbie, here are my suggestions:

1) Log in and read MP daily, if not several times a day. After all, MP comes first, work second.

2) Subscribe to certain threads. Make sure that the email you have for your MP account is one that you can access anywhere, anytime. If you don't have a smartphone, get one.

3) If you get an email, stop whatever you're doing and login to MP to see what is happening. If you're in a meeting, excuse yourself to use the restroom, bring your laptop, iPad or tablet if you don't have a smartphone: slip it down the front of your pants/skirt.

4) Follow MP on Twitter.

5) While sales went quickly, keep in mind that the entire discussion was talked about for months.

6) Be active on the boards and participate by responding to threads, signing up and making KIVA loans. Essentially become part of the MP community because that's what MP is, a community of like minded folks.

7) Understand that nothing is perfect. That announcements might be made when you're traveling, sleeping, or otherwise occupied, but that's life. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

* Just be clear I added some humor, in case anyone thought I was completely serious.

7. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    MegaDOs are deadly serious. So deadly, in fact, that I have hired a team of Russian hitmen to be on call in the event that I ever miss an announcement and have to be on some kind of waitlist. I'll simply kill off all those above me, and voilà, problem solved.

8. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh so that's one of the new benefits of having concierge key :)

William JLP, zarubi and Travelsavant like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am hoping that the first three paragraphs were serious.

Travelsavant likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please be advised I have forwarded this to the FBI and Homeland Security. I recommend avoiding all US airports until the Mega-do has commenced. The Bingham disguise will not fool the authorities.

11. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm getting your request expedited through all of the alphabet agencies that still acknowledge my existence.....:cool:

12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry, I believe you are on a special list for stealing too many megado experiences, and will be forced to fly all future megado's on a standby basis to ensure more people receive an opportunity (unless you want to participate on the Africa Megado, then I'm sure you can directly purchase a seat.)

Travelsavant and drewbles like this.
  13. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think also a good way to actively discourage him would be to a) bar him from any auctions (especially those for hotel suite/parlour upgrades), b) confiscate his credit card at time of boarding the TATL (to ensure he can't get in on any auctions and/or raffles). c) Ensure he sleeps on every flight (mind you, on the OWMD he did a good enough job of that himself without requiring additional assistance!).

Oh and let's add a d). Ensure he's in the last row window seat ;)

William JLP and Travelsavant like this.
  14. HPaul

HPaul Silver Member

Status Points:
    I’m not certain that’s true for SMD4 TATL BusinessFirst, I believe some of those seats were available without a “right to purchase” and some of those seats did NOT sell out immediately. And I believe purchasing a TATL BusinessFirst “guaranteed” a domestic seat, although not necessarily BusinessFirst. So, another way to sign-up might be to decide it’s worth the $$$$ for an expensive seat and save the $$$$ if necessary. Then a seat might be available if you cannot sign up at the first moment sign-ups are available.

(I suspect that some folks chose not to participate in the auction for a “right to purchase” gambling that TATL BusinessFirst cost would be a limiting factor, as it apparently was. I also suspect that some folks who would hesitate to pay $$$$ for an international Business seat or $$ for domestic Business class chose to shell out for this event in order to get on the MegaDO and also for the additional RDM/PQM.)

Travelsavant likes this.
  15. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you bought a seat on the TATL, you were given a right to purchase before general release to public, regardless of it being BF or Coach. Those in Coach on the TATL didn't necessarily get the right to purchase TC or E+, but you submitted a request to Ed with what you wanted, and a certain number of seats were put aside. Based on the order you emailed Melinda in the beginning for the TATL purchase, your ability to snag one of the TC or E+ seats was determined. Not everyone got their request as there are very limited number of TC and E+ seats. Everyone got at minimum an Economy seat on the charter though.

You're right that TATL BF didn't sell out immediately, but it did sell out I believe. These people were all guaranteed a seat on the domestic charter; that was the big selling point for the TATL. Buy TATL, 100% success for charter.

The 30 odd who got in on coach definitely got a pre-emptive purchase right; I was one of them (and $1k for the TATL was almost cheaper than paying for the bid for a right to buy in the Auction thread!).

alfagirl, IDGflygirl and Travelsavant like this.
  16. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You forgot E) Banning of french fries anywhere anytime during the Do, even during off-site venturings.:eek:

drewbles likes this.
  17. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that as a punishment or a reward? Well, on OWMD, I was in the second to last row window seat (next to Randy) and at first, I was disappointed. But being so close to the service area turned the trip (what I can remember! :oops:) into one of the best seats in the house. I got personal beverage service from the FA's even before take-off, sweet....

From NYC, IDGflygirl and drewbles like this.
  18. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think e) alone would be enough!

From NYC likes this.
  19. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though we might need to work on something for you too ;)

drewbles likes this.
  20. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're inferring i'm as bad as Mr Bingham? I don't know if I should be insulted or flattered ;)

21. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, getting back to the Original Poster, as well as the above digressions...

The megaDo sign ups are still a work in progress. Sure they could be smoother, but some of the information is breaking news.
    There is a lot of frustration involved in being in the right place when booking opens. This time there was quite a it of notice about when the booking would open. Way more than other years.

I was trying hard to make a booking for a friend, but my computer couldn't refresh fast enough to succeed!! A bit like the last time I tried to buy an Eric Clapton ticket!

The best advice I can give you is to keep your ear to the ground. Get into all the competitions, get into Kiva which usually has a competition, check the megaDo site regularly when a new Mega Do is incubating, and especially when it is about to hatch.

This year the sign up was different to in the past. It was staggered, both with the International optional section as well as the charter.

Have to disagree with you - It is quite clear that the price of the charter is not the international trip. The rest can be a minefield though... Good luck next time round, keep checking the threads when a new megaDo is imminent :)

22. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with storyteller's statement above. You also have to realize that you're competing against some very obsessed individuals whose main passion in life is attending MegaDo's.:cool:

If you're half-hearted about it, you'll have a tough time.

IDGflygirl and William JLP like this.
  23. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that was just Booby Boy and Mr Bingham? ;)

William JLP likes this.
  24. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh yes, try to exclude yourself from the obsessed. :rolleyes: The way you were hopping up and down in anticipation!

William JLP and drewbles like this.
  25. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    anticipation... or intoxication? :)

William JLP and From NYC like this.