CLE -> HNL with Overnight in SEA on a Single Ticket? (w/Companion Coupon)

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by knick1959, Aug 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not quite a newbie, but hardly a veteran at all of this. My trips keep getting more and more logistically challenging, and I've got a great one stewing for next May. Hawaii and American Samoa - we're working our way through a US National Park checklist, and AS has the most remote park you can find (2 others in Alaska are difficult, but not this far). Anyway ...

I've broken this trip into CLE->SEA the SEA->HNL with an overnight in SEA. We would pay for the Alaska Air SEA->HNL ticket, using the $100 companion ticket. Trying to fly from CLE straight to HNL requires 2 layovers, and we'd rather have the one in SEA be an overnight w/hotel. In both directions. Oh, coming back we're flying from Kona (KOA) to SEA, but want an overnight before flying back home to CLE.

Getting to Seattle is left to be planned, but we have all sorts of options here, if we book as a separate ticket.

Finally, the question. Is it possible to buy a single Alaska Air ticket, get the $110 companion ticket for CLE to Hawaii and back, accomodating an overnight stay in Seattle? This isn't going to work for us without the overnight. The flights automatically suggested by the Alaska Air schedule are very inconvenient.

Thanks in advance.

PS - We're flying the costly flight form HNL to PPG and back via miles ... a combination of AA and Hawaiian Air miles to get 2 one ways, both on HA planes. In coach, but I'm happy to not have to pay the $900 RT for these babies.

2. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I'm responding to my own post. Maybe I AM a newbie still ... in hindsight, this appears to be a pretty dumb question.

I was thinking I had to schedule a straight-through round trip. This is what the companion ticket verbage seemed to indicate. But then I remembered that it allowed me to "open jaw" and fly into HNL and out of KOA on the Big Island ... and I did this by searching for a "multi-city" ticket. The schedular let me apply the companion coupon to this; I went as far as checkout and stopped.

So I tried a more complex multi-city ticket with SEA in the mix just now. I did not try it with the coupon code, I'll do that tonight and see what happens. Then I'll see if the additional cost works out; it looked like it will, but the flight options home from SEA->CLE are not ideal. Maybe I'll stop the ticket in SEA and see what other airline offers better flights home. I can schedule whatever I want. The only question is ... will the companion coupon work with what I pick. That's easy to try tonight.

3. alphaeagle
    Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally Alaska fares allow a stopover in SEA. Supposedly additional restrictions have put into place on using the certificate for certain types of tickets, like multi-city, but that's easy enough for you to try out by putting in the code and attempting to book what works best for you.

But the companion certificate is only good on Alaska and Horizon flights, so getting to/from CLE is not going to be possible using it. Might be cheaper to use it leaving from Chicago or Newark and getting other transportation there from CLE.