CLE de-hubbed starting 1 April 2014

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://blog.wandr.me/2014/02/united-to-de-hub-cleveland-starting-1-april-2014/
    http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5984927/1/#12

Citing losses going back over a decade CLE is to see significant capacity cuts starting in April. Over a 3 month period about 70% of regional flights will be cut; all but 1 mainline flight will remain (25 total).

From a Smisek letter to employees:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats just f@&ing great

desamo likes this.
  4. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really...Is anyone surprised?

Even Doug Parker (see transcripts c/o DOJ filing) was surprised CLE lasted this long.

Look at it this way : At least its not yet another international route cut.

desamo, Photonerd71 and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was afraid that this will happen. My hometown's only UA service is through CLE. With the regional flights being eliminated, has there been any talk of which cities will get service to Chicago? I'm a bit afraid that ERI will lose service entirely. Thank goodness AA agreed to maintain service for a period of time as part of the merger settlement.

Gargoyle and desamo like this.
  6. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in the 70's-80's United basically abandoned cle. The choices were connect in ORD or IAD....
    Then Continental, quite possibly the worst airline in the country, came in, picked up the crumbs, and started flying to markets United had given up. Fun riding with them as they went from worst to first. Sigh......
    But, there again, things just seem to go in cycles. I wonder who, if anyone, will come in to pick up the pieces this time....

Gargoyle and TAHKUCT like this.
  7. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    My hometown. This is horrible. Not only people lose jobs but airfares increase. No low cost way to get to NYC.

Gargoyle and desamo like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CAK??

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Destinations being cut include: ATL, AUS, BUF, BTV, CLT, CMH, DAY, ERI, FNT, GRR, AVP, BDL, IND, MCI, SDF, MHT, MIA, MSP, YUL, BNA, MSY, OKC, PHL, PHC, PIT, PWM, PVD, RDU, RIC, ROC, SYR, YYZ and a couple others I don't know the code for off-hand.

That leaves the following: ALB, BWI, BOS, ORD, DFW, DEN, FLL, RSW, IAH, LAS, LAX, MKE, LGA, EWR, MCO, SFO, STL, TPA, IAD, DCA and seasonal to CUN, NAS, SJU, and CHS. The in-flight crew bases will remain as the mainline operations will be relatively unaffected. The job cuts are coming in airport operations (above and below the wing) and catering.

LETTERBOY and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This makes UA out of ROC, SYR and BUF even worse. :(

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they cutting BUF-EWR and BUF-ORD?

12. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I'm aware but it decreases options for certain.

mht_flyer likes this.
  13. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that means no more DUJ & FKL in B1900s (that's the route I flew my millionth mile on)

rggale, Gargoyle, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    And to announce it on a Saturday night.

15. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doubtful anyone will build up a significant presence or even half of what UA has now... Naturally other airlines will increase their capacity [i.e. DL will increase capacity on CLE-ATL/DTW/MSP/etc], maybe a new airline or two will enter the market, maybe WN will add a couple markets out of CLE.

With the mergers, I highly doubt anyone will come in and turn CLE into a focus city or hub. At this point, only the major cities will have a hub [mainly cities in the top 25 MSA] unless it is a "tourist destination" like LAS or HNL.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    That actually leaves most of what I would assume are the major business and leisure destinations from CLE. Many of the Midwestern destinations are within driving distance and probably don't have much O&D from CLE, and passengers there can connect through ORD (or switch to DL and go through DTW).

I am shocked :rolleyes: that UA is claiming that CLE is unprofitable just two years after having talked up the hublet's strength just before the merger.

Gargoyle, mht_flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too, CLE did great for CO for a long time, so to claim they were massively unprofitable in the last ten years is just plain ridiculous.

I suspect it is something like falling short of a metric. Like for instance, UA has a 10% ROIC goal - that was the 2013 goal, not sure if the figure is the same for 2014 - and CLE did not quite meet the 10% goal. Still profitable, but not as profitable UA wants it to be.

By falling several percent points short of the 10% goal can easily run up into tens of million dollars short of the goal.

ETA: The sucky part about this for CLE airport management is that one of the nicest RJ terminal [concourse D] is now pretty much going to be a waste.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    ssullivan and LETTERBOY like this.
  18. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read on FlyerTalk that UA is on the hook for the bonds used to build D, so it must be true. There will be no reason to keep it open (A and B are already ghost towns, so there will be plenty of space left in the main terminal building when UA starts cutting flights).

I'm annoyed that UA is dropping flights to PHL -- Jeff clearly wants to make it harder for my kids to see their grandparents :rolleyes: -- but it's not as if fares will go up on that route once US has a monopoly, since they were already absurd to begin with.

snod08, Golfingboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar rant in the GME's blog :(

20. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem I will have is no direct flights to where I need to be. That forces me into a choice between connecting with all of it's possible irrops or driving for three hours each direction to DTW..... I'll be seriously weighting the choice in the next few months...

21. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    PWM..damn. That leaves EWR/IAD or ORD for me to connect through to visit mom. :(

I guess ORD is the lesser of the 3 evils.

Now if we could just get a IAH-SDQ direct flight for my vacations.....;)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

desamo likes this.
  22. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    This goes right to Jeffrey Smisek's playbook. He can't win on UA's quality, so the strategy of shrinking the airline continues.

You can betcha DL will pick up the pieces, by up gauging making up some of the slack. At the end of the day who has the better P&L?
    Edit : Return on Invested Capital

LOL

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    desamo likes this.
  23. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking on the bright side...my still in sealed bag CLE commemorative amenity tin is going to appreciate in value!!!

24. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does seem that DL is doing things differently. Instead of cutting, cutting, they are growing revenue and capacity, and they must be taking share from UA:

Delta Air Lines operating revenue improved 6%, or $474 million, in the fourth quarter as capacity ticked up 2.9%

25. emwitty

emwitty Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, to many people, de-hubbing CLE was inevitable, but what about DEN? I'd like to think it's pretty safe, but what do I know.

mre5765, desamo and LETTERBOY like this.