Classic airline uniforms from the past, and future

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Jun 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Counsellor, gregm and uggboy like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't believe they didn't include National's "Fly Me" outfits. Although those were mostly commercials, who could ever forget the Southwest Hot Pants ensembles?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pix doesn't show the green FA's uniform the "stewardess" (remember them too?) was wearing on the only Braniff flight I ever had, from MIA to JFK (then called Idlewild?) on a Braniff green stretched DC-8. I had originally been scheduled on an EA flight that evening, as I had to get back to work in NY the following morning, but that flight was cxl., so when EA called I asked them to get me back to NY on any flight possible. They were able to get me on the Braniff flight, in F, that was coming into MIA later that night on a flight from SA and continuing to JFK. No dinner served as the flight was short and very late, but I really enjoyed my Coca Cola in that large, leather covered F seat.

Any guesses as to what aircraft is pictured in the second picture of the ten shown, the one with UA written on the side and the large windows, circa 1936 or so?

Newscience likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to a TWA pilot retirement party in the late 1980's and several of the retired flight attendants came in their old original uniforms from the 1940's and 50's. This wouldn't have been such as big deal but these ladies had to be at least 70 years old and still wore them well.