Clarity On AA Ticketing Restrictions In Argentina

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Sep 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Notes that AA sent out to travel agents yesterday:

Argentina Point of Sale Restrictions
    September 26, 2014

American Airlines has implemented sales restrictions for Argentina point-of-sale on our flights to/from Buenos Aires (EZE), Argentina. These sales restrictions do not apply to point-of-sale outside of Argentina.

Reservations can still be made or ticketed for travel on American and American codeshare (AA*/OA) flights for departures prior to:

·84 days for flights departing EZE

·90 days for flights arriving into EZE

Reservations cannot be made or ticketed for travel on American or American codeshare flights (AA*/OA) for departures more than:

·84 days for flights departing EZE

·90 days for flights arriving into EZE

American will not accept bookings on other airlines with Argentina point-of-sale.

zpaul, Flyer1976, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the two conditions "departures prior to ## days" and "departures more than ## days" to mean the same thing, i.e. far in advance. What exactly does this "clarity" thing mean in English?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the clarification is that only sales in Argentina are affected for the EZE flights. If you purchase the ticket in the USA, for example, it can still be up to one year in advance.

Flyer1976, Newscience and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the exchange rates on the blue market being what they are, now is a fantastic time for anyone who wants to go to EZE. We were there a couple of months ago and could not believe how cheap everything was. Our blue market rate at the time was 11.9. Now it is around 15, so I can't even imagine how great the savings are. We paid for everything in cash, even the Park Hyatt which cost us around $130.00 per night with the exchange rate we got.

zpaul, Pizzaman, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    This makes perfect sense and avoids huge potential liabilities. AA is going to be paid in pesos on AR transactions. They aren't going to want to fly someone who paid $8500 (equiv. US$1000 @ official rate) 11 months from now, when that might be a $10000 or $15000 fare (assuming same discounted fare class, etc., and the $10000 is worth a lot less than the $8500 initially paid) .

Pizzaman likes this.
  6. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    The blue rate is 14.77 today. Said with a deep voice; "cambio, cambio, cambio" Ticket booked for diciembre and i hope the rate at least holds.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's still almost double the official rate down there right now, yes?

8. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    $8.44/$8.49 (Buy/Sell) today

9. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the Blue Rate has been almost double the official rate. If you cambio with reliable people; restaurants and hotels you know it should be safe but always inspect the bills. I return to the same place on Florida street each time and they give a good rate. $100 bills get a higher rate then smaller bills.

10. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a puzzlement -- on my last trip a US $10 got a slightly better than a US $20, and I didn't even try to exchange a US $100 bill. I'd guess it would be worth less, or not exchangeable at all. So, why the better rate for the bigger bills? As usual, ¿Quien sabe?

11. BStrauss3

BStrauss3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guessing it's because the newer $100s have much better security features and can't be counterfeited (yet? as easily?) so they are safer.