Clarification of Lufthansa carry-on rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by disambiguous1, Mar 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Previously, Lufthansa had some very clear rules which stated that, while economy passengers were allowed one carry-on and one personal bag, the weight of BOTH TOGETHER had to be under 8kg. Now the information on their website is a bit more ambiguous. It states that the carry-on item needs to be under 8kg, but does not seem to include the "personal bag" in the total that adds up to that weight.

I got dinged by this two years ago when transferring from my United flight to a Lufthansa flight in Frankfurt, when using my Switchback 22. That is actually two bags, both of which are backpacks, and the larger one is also a roller. It's wonderful but weighs ten pounds, and I was several pounds over the carry-on limit when both were weighed.

I'm planning on doing a vagabond-type trip through Europe this summer, and a couple of links will probably have to be with Lufthansa. If the weight restriction does NOT include the personal bag, I can certainly pack so the main carry-on is less than 8kg. However, if both bags will be weighed together, I'll have to get some different luggage.

I was reading in the Fodor's forums how some people were made to transfer items from their carry-on into their personal bags to make the weight, which gives me hope that the rules have changed and only one bag is weighed.

Also, what other European airlines have that weight restriction, or is it just Lufthansa? What about EasyJet and RyanAir? -DA1

uggboy likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ryanair is one of the most strict when it comes to baggage weight (and size). Because it makes money - usually a lot of it - when you're over.

I've never had a bag weighed by LH.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    In many dozens of flights on LH, whether TATL, in Europe, or from Europe to points East, I have never had my carry-on/personal bag (one backpack, with no other carry-on aside from a jacket or coat) weighed by LH. Not even a concerned look my way from anyone working for LH. And it has always weighed more than 8Kg.

Has something recently changed with LH policies where they mandate weighing all carry-ons? Or do you set yourself up for a weigh-in because you board the airplane with 2 bags?

uggboy likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been on countless LH flights, generally with a >> 8 kg rollaboard and a biggish laptop backpack. Never been an issue,

Newscience likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the bag looks heavy or overstuffed, it's more likely to be weighed and measured.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jetstar seemed the worst about this (I realize not in Europe, just sharing) - wouldn't let anyone into the boarding lounge without weighing their carryons at MEL. :confused: On the other hand, returning from SYD... no one seemed to give a crap. :eek:

uggboy likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH @ SFO has weighed my bag on more than 1 occasion. Once in First and once in Business.

8. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please, guys, I know that the LH gate people can be capricious about weighing bags. They might, they might not. The question is not will they, but if they do, have the rules changed and what are they?

The Switchback 22 is made to fit carry-on size requirements, and does so for the vast majority of airlines. If only the main carry-on bag is weighed these days under new rules, then I could have successfully made the weight a couple of years ago. What I need to know is, does anybody know if I am reading the rules correctly, that now only the main bag is weighed? Does anyone have a definitive answer to that, or know where I can find it, aside from driving to an airport and asking a Lufthansa gate agent?

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scanning over the rules as of January 2012, I don't see where it states very clearly that they were weighing them together.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120106202852/http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Carry-on-baggage?

The rules, it appears, were the same as today as far as weight is concerned. Am I misreading them?