Clapping When the Airplane Lands

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Canarsie, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although it seemed to have occurred more often years ago, I sometimes will still hear passengers clapping once the airplane lands whenever I am a passenger on a flight.

Do you clap as a passenger when the airplane lands? If so, why?

uggboy, MLW20 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only time I have experienced passengers clapping upon landing was last year when I flew Croatia Airlines.

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It happens very frequently in Italy- particularly on Ryanair flights.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't clap but I've experienced others doing this when landing in Israel. Conversely, in the early 1990s, I saw people clap when the plane left the ground upon takeoff from Moscow (leaving Russia).

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the 1990s flying domestic from Moscow- I would clap when the plane landed actually- and with good reason.

6. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, it happens most on Irish flights. Used to happen on virtually every Ryanair flight but now the clapping/trumpets come over the PA when the landing is on schedule. I so hate that!

Valentine, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had it happen on old Czech air flights in the 80's. But nothing since or on other carriers. I guess people were relieved when the il-62's would actually land right side up.

8. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've experienced it when landing is significantly delayed (WX, etc) and everyone on board has been getting antsy. Also, occasionally, in a sarcastic manner after a very rough landing...

9. jeff4jojo
    Original Member

jeff4jojo Silver Member

Status Points:
    happened often when landing in Israel on El Al.....people often broke out into song, the national anthem of Israel as well. Have flown all over the world on other airlines as well and never experienced this.

10. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have experienced that mainly in Italy on domestic routes. I don't clap myself though.

uggboy, goodandclassy and jbcarioca like this.
  11. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never clap, but it seems to me that I notice it a lot on flights to or from Latin America. Maybe it is a cultural thing.

uggboy, goodandclassy and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I notice it happening in several circumstances:
    1) when the flight has been rough or there have been problems;
    2) when arriving on a flight from a "nasty" place to a "nice" place (way subjective, but several of you have commented similarly)\
    3) when flying with lots of tourists, obviously infrequent flyers (we cannot call them "kettles" any more, right?)

uggboy, toddreg and goodandclassy like this.
  13. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't clap but have experienced the applause after rough weather. My first TATL 25 years ago everyone clapped I think out of relief for the end of our journey.

uggboy, goodandclassy and BurBunny like this.
  14. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    First time I experienced it was on a BR flight many years ago. I was puzzled why the passengers suddenly clapped after the plane landed. My Taiwanese friend then informed me that this was the norm as they wanted to show their appreciation to the flight and cabin crew.

Also had it happened on a TK flight from ORY to IST when they had the nose camera shown on the PTV screens.

But the best one was during an AA flight that needed to return to ORD soon after take off as the captain said one of the cargo doors was not secured properly.

uggboy, lwkatya and goodandclassy like this.
  15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We clapped and cheered the last time I left Kuwait on a military charter after a deployment to Afghanistan. ;)

uggboy, secretsea18, misman and 9 others like this.
  16. No, I fly primarily domestic, AA. I have seen clapping a few times over the years; mainly after flying around t-storms with lots of turbulance and after having to do 2 go-a-rounds on the same flight due to wind sheer. Wind sheer is NOT a good thing when in the landing sequence! Also, happened when I landed in CA from Vietnam in 1973!

uggboy, misman, Pegasus and 4 others like this.
  17. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    A combination of number 2 and 3 is my experience - when "nasty" means winter darkness/snow/cold weather and "nice" means warmth, sun from a clear sky and umbrella drinks - in other words a charter flight landing in warmer regions.

uggboy and goodandclassy like this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like for your first post.

uggboy likes this.
  19. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    It used to be an ELAL thing... but I actually clapped (with the entire plane) once:
    We had a very hard landing (CAT III, terrible winds, all airports around close) with no fuel left to go 'by the book' to another airport. Was a US flight... we were sure it is going to be a landing with injuries+, they landed the damm bird (dancing, shacking, people throwing up, including a FA), but... they landed the damm thing!

uggboy, kwai, Sagy and 3 others like this.
  20. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have mostly seen it happen, when people go to vacation spots, feeling happy that the fun starts.

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is different- people celebrating the end of an Alitalia flight segement- and there is usually good reason for that.

22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    not big on clapping, but two instances come to mind
    a) once was with the old HK airport, particularly windy so the flight was even more harrowing;
    b) other time was a rough landing in LGA. O2 masks came down, overheads popped open, couple of hops before the wheels settled on the ground. Freaked a few people out (screaming) and then when it settled, clapping throughout the cabin - thankfully no one crapped their pants (or at least not that I know of!) :D

23. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have experienced clapping most frequently after significantly rough flights/landings. One particularly memorable one was in December in ANC before they built the North/South runway. ANC is prone to significant sheers, and this landing I was convinced we were going to land on a wing - have never experienced such dramatic rocking on a landing. Doesn't help that back then they kept the shells of planes that *didn't* quite make it along the side/end of the runways there, either. The entire plane clapped and cheered when we landed safely, and most shook the hand of the pilot when deplaning.

But, have also encountered it culturally in various areas around the world, and for specific reasons discussed already above.

24. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    surprised that they had the free hands to clap. usually one hand is holding the roll of duct tape used to repair the interior mid-flight

uggboy, goodandclassy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is.

uggboy likes this.