Citibank's Thank You Points

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by upgrademe, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. upgrademe
    Original Member

upgrademe Active Member

Status Points:
    I know many have abandoned this program with the loss of the Fixed Point Redemptions. Now with the conversions of the Premier Pass (Elite), Citi Amex Platinum and Driver's Edge cards, more will soon follow. For those still onboard, how are you earning points? What do you redeem for? Any TY promotions?

Here's how I earn on a monthly basis:

Banking
    Premier Pass Elite soon to be Premier Card: No annual fee a year (promo sign-up from a while ago), 1.2 points for everyday spend, flight point match-up. My retention offer begins with the card conversion and will be 5x points for 3 months.
    Forward Card: No annual fee, 5x points for dining and bookstores (everything at Amazon) - great card

I also just got 20k points for opening a savings account and 20k points coming for opening a business account.

For me, the best use of the points is when airfare goes on sale and I can book flights for cheap. In December, Virgin America had flights running for roughly $150 and I used 14,600 points for a flight. Better than using 25k United or AA miles. Also, I like to redeem for hotels, since I'm still building my hotel points.

piqaro likes this.
  2. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think right now my family is working on burning the points. If you hold a PPE or an Amex plat, there was a 25% discount on flights if you used any points and purchased through Connexions (ref here). However, some people have said that the discount no longer works (I booked yesterday around 4 and it was ok). No idea what we're planning to do with the conversion though - the family has 4x PPE's going to Premier.

I agree on your methodology for sale flights. We book TATL using TYP because of sales, and TransPac using miles just becuase routing out there is always more complicated for us.

3. upgrademe
    Original Member

upgrademe Active Member

Status Points:
    I took advantage of that 25% discount on a flight on Wednesday. I highly doubt the discount will last, but it gives me more incentive to keep earning TY points.

Are your PPE cards fee-free? If so, I think it is still a good idea to keep the cards. The downgrade to the 1.2 earning for everyday spend sucks, but I still have 36k flight points to match up.

I also like the ability to earn miles or points when I book flights using TY points.

4. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup - Citigold waives the annual fee for the PPE/and hopefully for the Premier, people aren't getting straight answers it seems. I do like being able to earn miles.

For some reason, I still don't understand flight points (just spend and fly and see what i get, ha). I was under the impression that you got the points after spending the same number of dollars - but last month i got credited for 4 flights ~8000mi total, which I know I did not spend.

piqaro likes this.
  5. upgrademe
    Original Member

upgrademe Active Member

Status Points:
    Flight points are supposed to match up with purchase points in order to be credited. So consider yourself lucky that you got the 8000 points w/o the spending. Maybe this card is a keeper after all. [​IMG]

piqaro likes this.
  6. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    They know that we're thinking to leave, I appreciate this last ditch effort to keep me!

buschoi likes this.
  7. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure they are happy we are leaving. The fixed rate redemption a few years ago probably lost them a lot of money. Since they closed it, the fun is gone.

I will keep the card as it is one of my oldest, but it will just be in my drawer as there are better earning/redemption rates in the market.

8. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just picked up the Forward card for restaurant and Amazon use. I figure I'll earn about 25k points/year, so I can redeem mostly for $50 and $100 gift cards and net out about 4.5% return.

wanderlust and piqaro like this.
  9. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI some flights I'm pricing out still have the discount.

10. I have done my part in giving money to Citi

11. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I use the Forward card for. Really hard to find that kind of "return" from any card really. Never use the Forward card for anything about restaurants, bookstores and Amazon.com though.

12. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how it works with Citicards if you want to lower your current credit card level? I have a Primer Pass card in which I get charged a yearly fee and no longer want to use it as a primary. If I lower its level will this hurt my credit, this card is the oldest card I have. I do not want to hurt my credit by changing this card and lowering it.

Thanks!

13. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'm giving up on the Thank You program due to the demise of the Driver's Edge card ... For me the only reason I was still around was the extra points for mileage driven.

y2kdread - Citibank has converted accounts for me in the past so I could switch to a card without a yearly fee. As long as they are going to let you keep the same account number, It shouldn't show up any different on your credit report.

y2kdread likes this.
  14. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Just gave them a call and they changed my card level without changing the account number. Thanks wheat!

15. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am about to get out of the Thank You Point collecting .... two questions ....
    I have 253 thank you points left over .... I don't want anything for them, but wondered if I could donate them or anything like that.

Second, I have about 4,000 flight points (that I never had the matching spend to turn into thank you points) from the old and now gone Premier Pass card ... anything I can do with them before I cancel my card.

Any thoughts? thanks in advance for any assistance.

16. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check out the TYN shopping area, they probably allow you to donate the points there (if it is allowed).

Re: flight points - you can't do anything with them if you haven't earned them by spend yet.

Mike1625 likes this.
  17. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the Amex Plat is only a 20% discount.