Citibank Error email offering 50k miles with new account-should I request full miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by modernhaus, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. modernhaus

modernhaus Active Member

Status Points:
    On December 7th Citibank sent me a targeted offer for opening a new Citibank checking account.

Per the email, bonus was 50k in Thank You points for a new regular Citibank checking "redeemable for up to $250 in gift cards", and 50k in Thank You points for opening a new Citigold checking "redeemable for up to $500 in gift cards". The miles were wrong, but the redemption was correct.

I opened a new regular Citibank checking account and activated, funded, etc., on December 8

On December 9th I received an email titled "Offer correction", with corrected offering of 25K for regular checking, 50k for gold.

I saved a screenshot of the original "error" offer. Do I have any grounds for holding them to the 50k bonus, even though they listed the redemption value of that bonus at $250? Is it likely that they'll just say it was obvious what they meant?

Thanks guys!

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could try. But consider this: You could tell from the email that there was a difference between the two accounts. Usually regular and "gold" accounts don't have the same perks. Was the correct 25k offer displayed when you clicked through to open the account, or was the promotion only outlined in the email? Maybe they'll still give you 50K points, but they'll cut their value in half and still only let you have $250 in gift cards. That would hold up against your screenshot.

3. modernhaus

modernhaus Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your response. The promotion terms were in the email only. You're right-I noticed the error right away, and definitely didn't open the account to try and take advantage of it. I opened the regular account because the balance requirement to avoid fees was $6k, vs. something like $2 billion for the gold ;)
    I only expected to earn 25k on the account, but since receiving the correction/acknowledgement of error email, I did consider for a moment that they may honor the 50k.
    I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask nicely...it just makes me feel a little opportunistic. Then again, all miles/points/ticketing errors are, right?

4. modernhaus

modernhaus Active Member

Status Points:
    I just looked back at the error email and should note that the extensive "fine print" at the bottom repeated the error, without mentioning a difference in redemption values.
    So, 50k for either account, and no mention that one could be redeemed for $250 and the other for $500 in gift cards.
    Yikes, someone's getting fired over this one.

5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would suspect that Citi would say that you are still getting the promised value out of the checking account. That is you can get the $250 in gift cards.

Don't see how you could realistically expect them to give you the additional 25K points.

6. modernhaus

modernhaus Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, I think it would be easy to argue that the promised value was 50k miles though, since they did offer that in two separate places.

What got me thinking about asking for the extra points was the subject of error airfares. Once the airline catches and fixes the error, they can assert that it was obvious that a $5 LA-JFK round trip ticket (or whatever) was an error and that anyone who booked it at that rate knew they were booking an error rate. But many airlines will honor that rate for the few who were able to take advantage of it, because it was their error and their offer.
    Same with any advertised price...if Best Buy sends me a circular advertising $200 iPads if I'm one of the first 1000 customers in the store on a certain date, then if I show up and stand in line and follow the rules outlined in the offer, there had better be a $200 iPad available, even if that circular was sent in error or the price was a typo. If they send me a correction BEFORE I show up, that's a different story.
    I'm not even sure yet if I'm going to ask for the extra 25K, but I do think there are ground to ask.