Citibank Credit Card Application Rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Joshua Walter, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Joshua Walter
    Original Member

Joshua Walter Active Member

Status Points:
    Would it be useful to put together all of our current information about the best / most effective way to churn credit cards, especially after the changes to Citibank's system? I picked them specifically because they have, at least recently, had the highest quantity and quality of credit card offers, with American Airlines. Here's my limited understanding of how to go about churning their cards in 2011.

1. You can apply for 2 credit cards in the same day, 2 personal or 1 personal and 1 business. However, you can also just apply for the 2 personal, wait 60 days, and then apply for the 1 business. This is a good way to get 3 cards in the time it would usually take to get 3. You do not need to actually own a business to apply for a business card, but there is a moral issue attached to this that you should decide for yourself.
    2. You can reach the minimum spend for the reward as quickly as you like (for example, $4,000 in 6 months for 75,000 miles) however the points will typically be applied to your account 7 or so days after the billing cycle in which you reach the minimum spend target.
    3. You can re-apply for 2 more cards 60 (or is it 90?) days after your last application date. Do you need to cancel the old cards to get 2 more?
    4. You can safely expect a 4 - 6 point hit in your credit score each time you do this, however it is temporary and will go away after a 3 month period.

If there is anything I am missing, or not giving enough detail on, please correct me and I will update this post.

I'd like to clear the air on this subject, for my own sake, as well as for others looking to get these credit card bonuses. Thanks in advance!

Copypasta directly from the FT thread about app rules -

Generally: (as in most cases, but not a sure thing)
    1. You can get approved for 1 personal card and 1 business card simultaneously.
    2. If you want to apply for 2 personal cards, apply at the same time (same day at least). No promises on approval of a second card, but denial will not be because of your first application. For the 75k/$1500 promo, call in to apply for AMEX and then apply online for Visa.
    3. Approval for 3 cards (2 pers. and 1 bus.) will certainly result in 1 denial. But accidental glitches can happen to get multiple cards. Even a few reports of people hitting submit multiple times by accident for the same card and getting approved for every submittal.
    4. Applying for a personal and business card simultaneously will still result in 2 credit pulls. Applying for 2 personals will result in 2 credit pulls, but will be combined by the credit bureau into 1 pull.
    5. You DO NOT need a business to apply for the business card, but this topic is ethics related. You do not need an EIN, just supply your SS #
    6. If you have applied and did not get instant approval, "call us between the hours of 9:00 am to 9:00 pm EST, Monday - Friday, 1-866-606-2961"
    7. Your application is not denied until they tell you it is denied, and even then there have been instances of applicants receiving the cards and activating them.
    8. If denied for reasons other than "only for first time cardholders", you can contact Citi through mail or phone and ask them to reconsider or negotiate your approval. If lower level CSRs can't help you, contact the following:

CitiBank Executive Review Department
    P.O. Box 6000
    Sioux Falls, SD 57117

9. Some applications have no mention of the offer you are applying for, have faith it is correct. if you lack faith, you can confirm with a CSR after you apply using the above number.
    10. If you receive a card and card info in the mail, it also will not have any mention of the offer you applied under, have faith or call a CSR.
    11. Takes about a week to get your card.
    12. Takes a few days after statement close to get your miles.
    13. If you have been a churner, odds are a denial due to "first-time customers only".
    14. If you have had an AA card long term (18 months to be safe) without churning, reports are you'll get approved.
    15. You alone can evaluate if the risk of getting a denial is worth the miles. If you can't afford the credit pull, then don't worry about it.

Kalboz, DrG, kyunbit and 3 others like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion you are missing a LOT of detail. If you really want to start a thread here at MP, I suggest that you read post # 2 in the thread on this deal at FT because that post is a summation of 7 months of study and discussion by many people.

Joshua Walter likes this.
  3. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are given a low credit limit and you use it up right away you can set up electronic bill pay at your bank and push the payment to Citibank so they get your payment posted immediately and free up your credit.

If you hit your spending threshold right away after getting the card you can call Citibank and have them move up your cycle date so the points post sooner.

Joshua Walter and aitchly like this.
  4. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    you can apply for two personal cards in one day and then wait 2 months for the business. It is the best way to get a trifecta!

Kalboz, DrG and Joshua Walter like this.
  5. Joshua Walter
    Original Member

Joshua Walter Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I do not pretend to have all the answers. I will read through there and update this thread with a lot of that information. I was looking for some of our members input on this matter, as what is the point of this site if we only link to flyertalk threads?

EDIT: I've noticed that the thread does not mention much about how long / the details about churning. I'm very interested in this info, as it appears we have not reached a consensus as to how long to wait before applying again, if applying and being denied pushes your countdown out another 90 days, things like that. Does anyone have the answers to these questions?

Kalboz likes this.
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are probably hundreds of posts in the FT thread about churning. There is no clear consensus, hence there has been no attempt to summarize in post # 2. My suggestion is that you post in the FT thread, because many people who have studied this offer for the past 7 months will read your question, and you may get answers from more people than me. I will say that if you have held your current Citi AA card less than a year, you have nearly 0 chance of being approved.

Personally I see no reason to re-invent the wheel by having a thread on this deal over here. The deal will probably expire in 10 days.

If you post the details of your situation with Citi (how long you've had a card, how much you've churned in the past, etc. I will be happy to respond in more detail. But remember it is a YMMV situation with this deal.

7. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I have a problem.

I had a Citi AA MC for 25 years with a 30K limit. I downgraded it to a no-fee bronze 5 years ago.

I applied and got a personal AmEx in May with 30K but when the 75K offers came out I canceled it and lowered the cl to 2K on the bronze MC stupidly thinking it would help me get a 75K. It didn't, I got rejected for an AA Visa in October as a prior. Now I'm stuck with a $2 per mile 2K limit card. I hate to convert it to full fee and pay the annual fee with no bonus. I also hate to get a credit pull for just a cl increase but with a 2K limit I can't take advantage of the virtual account numbers much for coins and giftcards are a nuisance.

I have a biz AA card and know the churn rules there but the limit on the biz is just $1K.

Should I take a pull for just a cl increase? Should I pay a fee for a new full card without asking for a bonus?

The one thing I don't want to do is throw another blind app in for the AA Visa and it's rejection reset the churn clock for personal.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    At one time, some people who talked to Citi CS people said that they made reference to 18 months between personal cards. No one knows if that 18 months is real or if it is between applications, or between cancellation and application.

9. ----------------

i have been a churner for 3~4 years and had not problems getting approved. but now (4/2011), when i applied for the citibank american airlines credit cards, i received:

"Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R) /
    AAdvantage(R) Visa(R) Signature account. Unfortunately, we are
    unable to approve your request for the account at this time
    because of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
    / AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
    you previously had a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account
    with us."

does that mean my churning life is over with citibank? what can i do to continue churning with citibank? any tips will be appreciated.

mike t.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd write a reconsideration letter. Explain yourself and be honest and maybe you'll get lucky.

11. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    So far it seems you can still get business cards past every 90 days. For personals you're toast for probably 18 months at least from your last successful application.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Be careful with the Business card. Many people have reported that Citi wants PROOF of the business. This needs to be a bank account and a utility type bill. If the name on the bank account and utility bill do not match the application you will get rejected. My wife applied for a sole proprietorship business card. They asked for verification of the business. She sent in a bank statement that had "MrsDeanT and Associates" I assume this was accepted. However she sent in a utility bill that just said "MrsDeanT". Bottom line, she received a rejection based on the documentation.

TOBB has reported that Citi is very specific on what documentation they will accept. Our experience seems to validate that.

lin821 likes this.
  13. I heard that Citigroup is improving its credit card offers by postal mail in a big way, writes the Wall Street Journal. Research firm Synovate estimates over 346 million credit card promotions will be dispersed in Q3 2011. That's more than one for every male, female and kid in the U.S., at a cost exceeding $240 million. Article resource: Citigroup pushing record number of credit card offers via mail.

Kalboz likes this.