Citibank Amex - Sent without request

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by FWFDAN, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FWFDAN
    Original Member

FWFDAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rcvd a Citibank AAdvantage Amex today - seems they sent it linked to my Visa without my request - one account, two types of cards. Clearly states that I have one credit line, one statement, one account - but that it is now both a Visa and an Amex....

If I wanted the Amex I would have applied and got the bonus miles.

Anyone else get this load of stuff?

2soonold, Junca and jbcarioca like this.
  2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    that's weird

3. The same exact thing happened to my roommate today - she received a Citi AA Amex linked to her Citi AA Visa without her request.

She had actually been considering opening the Citi AA Amex for the miles, but now it seems that's not possible. Is it possible Citi is trying to prevent people from getting multiple bonuses on AA cards?

2soonold likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is interesting. Unsolicited cards are prohibited in the US in nearly all situations.

This is a good quick summary:
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0682.htm

This seems to not be explicitly prohibited because it could meet the "substitution" criterion, and in any event is not a new account, but an additional access method for the same account as the OP describes it. If there are no additional fees at all associated with the account, including FX, overlimit, late or any other fees Citi has a good argument they are giving you another piece of pretty plastic and nothing more.

This is certainly skating along a thin wall between legal and illegal behavior. Citi obviously thinks it is permissible. Citi of old has had a long history of testing regulatory barriers, most spectacularly with the McFadden Act and the Glass-Steagall Act. Some of those have had consumer benefits, others have not.

if this bothers you complaints with regulators and legislators would be appropriate. If you like it, keep it. This move will appeal to some current Senators who have been active in the Durbin Amendment debate, for example, maybe even on both sides.

5. voh2ox2

voh2ox2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got two Amex cards which I do not want. When I called to activate my card, I responded to the automated system that I did not want two cards. I was promptly transfered to an individual who asked me my name, why I was calling (to acitvate my card) and who responded "your cards are activated". I have no intention of using the amex cards. Who do I complaint to?

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. FWFDAN
    Original Member

FWFDAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think that is exactly it... They are pretty clear it is one account, one statement, no changes, no impact to credit (not reported as a different account) - just another way to access it....

7. Mileage Junky
    Original Member

Mileage Junky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received both cards in the mail too. I'm concerned they are trying to do this so you can't receive the bonus for the other card type. Any other insight on that?

8. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The same card arrived in my mailbox. I just called and asked if I could also get the 30K miles that they are advertising elsewhere. He said that it is not possible with this particular card that arrived in the mail but that I could apply for one on a separate account. I may try it, but not today, but suspect I will be turned down in spite of my excellent credit rating.

9. giggy
    Original Member

giggy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife got one the other day. While we dont use AE (and certainly wouldn't open an acct for bonus points) This seems pretty nice. Lots of times my hotels offer special deals when using an AE labeled card. Now we can take advantage of it.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    We both got them as well. Feels just plain weird having two different cards for the same account, and the AE ha sa different card number.

11. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband received the Amex today too. Funny, about a month ago he was denied the card since he had received the Visa with the 75,000 back in October. He was going to wait 6 months and apply again but I guess this offers blows that one right out of the water.
    Pat

miles and smiles and Gargoyle like this.
  12. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the two new cards as well, which makes it weird since as a result I have now one Citi visa and 2 Citi amex.
    I wonder if I can use this to try and parlay this into a retention bonus for the separate Citi amex since I've already met the spend requirements and gotten the sign-up bonus. I was going to try to get a retention bonus anyway, but this might provide a good excuse.
    Note that you do get apparently also 5K bonus AA miles for activating the cards on top of the 20% more miles per dollar spending.

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine, who applied for both the AA Visa and Am Express last year (75K bonus') - but only received the Visa, also got a new visa with a joint Am Express last week. Upon my recommendation, he called up and said he wanted some miles as they just rejected him for an AmExp card last year, or else he didn't want it. Granted, we understand that this is not a new credit line, but it would make him an "existing" AmExp card holder wouldn't it?

The agent was actually upset that he didn't want the AmExp card. To me, as others have expressed, it smelled like a way to stop him from getting some bonus miles for a separate AmExpress card in the future if he were to apply again. The agent gave the spiel about the benefits of this card, but this is not his primary card and he doesn't care about how many extra miles per dollar stuff. .... (This also adds insult to injury as this is a guy who essentially doesn't have debt and doesn't have much open credit because he's paid for everything out right! Therefore, his credit score, while good, doesn't show alot of action in recent years because he has a house and car paid off, no other loans and only two credit cards. So, he wants to keep the AA Visa he got for another open credit line on his report.)

Anyway, he called another number to reject the AmExpress. We looked at the Q&A that gave a number to call if one wanted to activate only one of the two cards (have to talk to an agent). I believe the auto activation will do both cards at once. Hopefully he can go for some more AA miles at a future date if he wants.

(btw, I have both the AA visa and american express (separate cards/accounts) and did not get another amexp to tie to my visa).

14. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess they send these set of cards randomly - both my wife and myself have 2 AA cards - Visa and AMEX, opened in October for 75K bonus each. Last week my wife got a `replacement' of those cards - both Visa and AMEX, account number on Visa is the same as before, AMEX card has a new account number. Both cards came with letter - two cards, one account. By the way, I did not receive such 'replacement'.

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had no problem authorizing only one without the other.

16. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here, they replaced my Visa to match the expiration date of a new AMEX. I figure I'll cancel the AMEX once the 5k miles post and the 20% bonus ends in April. I'm supposing that they are hoping you forget any other AMEX cards you have in favor of this one. My thing is that I like the service AMEX gives on its own AMEX cards and would never substitute a Citi AMEX unles they made it worth my while.

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. upgrademe
    Original Member

upgrademe Active Member

Status Points:
    I just received the Amex card as well. Where does it state you'll get an additional 5k miles for activating?

My offer states 20% more AA miles on eligible purchases for 12 mos made with your Citi Amex. Not a bad deal, will switch over to Amex AA for 12 months.

18. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received this in the mail too and was absolutely confused since I didn't ask for it, though I recently increased my credit line. My offer was for the AmEx to receive a 20% bonus for 12 months. I didn't see anything about a 5k signup bonus, but that might be for cardholders with higher levels than platinum.

I'm not sure if Citi is trying to prevent people from cycling cards. My guess is that AmEx has higher transaction fees for merchants, so they can offer this bonus to their existing members and still make a profit.

19. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not listed on the paperwork that comes with the cards, but apparently some people saw the 5K getting posted as a bonus.
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15974950-post4551.html
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15975544-post4553.html

I would just confirm with the CSR when you call to activate.

20. The AmEx is an extra card that you can use or not use. It is different from a standard AmEx because you do not send your payment to AmEx, you send it to CitiBank.

If you don't accept it, nothing happens. If you do accept it you'll get a 20% bonus on your CitiBank purchases for the next year when you use that card, which is sweet.

I've activated it and will use it in place of the M'card. That is an easy 20% bonus!

21. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see a link on the AA forum that offers 20k miles after $500 spending.

It's essentially the same as the cards you guys received, which I got in the mail too. Wondering if I applied through that link, would there be a hard pull?

22. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    DH and I both also received the Citibank AE unsolicited. My intent is to not even bother activating either of the cards, just wait it out until month 11 and cancel both the Visa and AE.

The 20% bonus is pathetic. What I don't like about the Citibank AA cards is they offer no bonus for spending with AA. With BA visa card if you spend at BA you get double points, so to me that is the standard I expect from an airline branded card.