Citibank AAdvantage Visa cards

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Brit, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I signed up and was approved for the 75k Citi card - got both personal and biz card. Waiting for them to arrive.

Have to spend $4k over the next 6 months.

Had an idea. Mint!

So a question to all you folk who are dollar coin people: can I purchase dollar coins on the AAdvantage card? Will it be treated as a cash equivalent or cash advance?

I've not bought into the dollar coin craze, and so I'm not sure whether it will be a good option to help me make the $4k spend.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used my AAdvantage cards on several occasions at the Mint to meet spending requirements. Never had any problems with getting appropriate credit.

3. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool! Thanks!

4. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used the mint numerous times for minimum spend on the Citi. I wish the churn was still available....ah for the good ole days [​IMG]

aitchly likes this.
  5. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    or even older days, to fund a Citi bank account [​IMG]

arkleseizure likes this.
  6. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEN!

7. I also signed up for the Citi AA offers! My cards arrived within the week and I was able to confirm the promo while activating. My spending requirements were $1500 per card and I used a variety of methods to meet them... Amazon Payments (love it!), Charge Smart (like it) and regular bills/expenses.

I've also heard much about the Mint deals but haven't tried them yet... I've only been in this world a few weeks.

8. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    you can still fund a Citi savings account with a credit card... just not your Citi card.

I was wondering if you could open a Chase savings account without a checking account linked to it? I just closed my Chase checking account.

Possibly the wrong place to ask this... but are there any attractive offers at this time for opening a Savings Account???

9. Is there a max amount?

10. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whatever your credit limit allows you as far as I understand it.
    I was very conservative when opening my Citi accounts using a VX Visa card and MrPickles laughed at me for that, so I'm not the best advise giver on the subject.

11. Off topic, but I'll answer anyway. No great deals for savings accounts that I'm aware of currently. Everyone seems to be getting the $100 offers in the mail to open checking accounts , however (have seen some as high as $200). Often the Chase bankers will pitch the savings and checking accounts together as a "package." Of course there is no requirement to open both. Beware that as of this month, there are no longer any "Free Checking" or "Better Banking" checking accounts remaining. They have moved to "Total Checking." Those were the old "no strings attached" type, where a certain asset level or debit card transactions/bill pay limit was not required to avoid fees. Lot a pissed off old WaMu clients when they discover they have to pay $8 for a casheirs check...

12. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i m a newbie to mileage and points - I agree with Crush - amazon payments worked great.

13. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just make sure the Amazon Payments aren't obvious (Two accounts in your name with the max $1,000 every month). They are closing down accounts with obvious self payments.

14. Thanks for the tip... I'll create another acct just in case.

15. Churning might still be a possibility. If these are your first AAdvantage cards, you can apply for other offers, particularly other flavors, Amex/Visa/MC at lower bonus levels after 90 days (at this point I wait 180 ish) and still receive sign up bonuses again. Managing accounts on line is a handy way to keep track of your citicards.

16. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know anything about the Amazon payments. Can you explain it? Please tell me it is like the mint without having to lug coins around.

17. travelguru

travelguru Active Member

Status Points:
    Be careful funding citi accounts with a credit card. Many issuers have started to treat as cash advance in 2011. I have found sometines the treatment isn't consistent. The only one i know that works all the time is scwab visa now. Many that used to work no longer work , atleast for me. Are there others that consistenyl work? I haven't gotten a tax 1099 yet so i'm thinking ive been getting around 7+% annual tax free return plus numerous citi cash (or points) bonuses from doing this. Would love to hear about other folks experiences. Thanks

18. travelguru

travelguru Active Member

Status Points:
    I too have had no problem using chase cards for mint purchases but i know another that has so I try not to abuse it when using Chase cards.

19. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazon Payments is essentially paypal. They're just starting so no fee for transactions and you can send and receive a max of $1,000 a month via CC.

Good: You send your roommate $950 in rent every month and maybe your brother sends you $975 for that personal loan you gave him.

Bad: You have two different accounts in your name and you send yourself the $1,000 max back and forth in each account.

Amazon Payments is a nice way to get some miles as long as you don't abuse it.

PointHoarder, osiriuso and jlove5924 like this.
  20. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:

If I send money to my girlfriend and she sends it back to me on a monthly basis, would it alert amazon?

21. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    So can I send my wife $1000 a month for ¨bills¨ and she just take the money out and deposit it in our checking account? Sounds way better than coins. What am I missing, there must be a catch.

22. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never used Amazon Payments. How much is the transaction charge? Surely it cannot be free.

23. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    No transaction fee. They're trying to take over PayPal so no fee to start.

Nope, no catch. The limit is $1,000 a month, but otherwise that's fine. Like I said I'd stay under $1,000 exactly to stay under the radar but otherwise no problems. My wife and I have been sending payments back and forth for five motnhs now.

osiriuso, upgrademe, noel and 2 others like this.
  24. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is awesome. I hadn't heard anything about it. I am going to have to check it out. I need to run up my Amex for some MRs to top off another account so this might be a great way to add some. Thanks for the tip.

25. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will have to check this out as well. Seems like a good way to generate some AA miles or some MR points.