Citibank AA 75,000 Mile Card Promo Question

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by y2kdread, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey Everyone,

I am having a hell of a time getting my wife one of the AA business cards (she got the personal card just fine). Does anyone know how often AA does the 75k Mile promo?

I just want to make sure she gets 150k miles, and if we can't get her the business card then I will have to work out some other way to get her to 150k.

Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Don't understand your real question.

If you are asking about the business card, then need to understand what the issue is.

If you are asking about when she can apply for another personal card, that is a more complex and YMMV situation. For the most part, Citi has locked down churning of AA cards. Most people, when they apply for a second personal card will get a denial stating that the offer is for new customers only. Please look at the master thread over on FT and you will see a lot more information

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    The real problem is that they keep asking for address verification, we have sent them documents, and they don't seem to like those.

I just need to find a different way to get her 75K miles if we can't get them through a business card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same problem. I have a legitimate business after retiring. I have a checking acct with the business name. They asked for documents to verify the address. I work out of my residence. A State license worked for one document. I sent a checking statement and utility bill. The checking statement has the business name, my name , and my address. The utility bill just has my name and my address on it. Citi said they didn't meet the requirements. The checking acct even though it has my business name didn't satisfy them because the statement didn't say business on it. It is an electronic statement. The name obvious is a business name. The utility bill wasn't my business name since I have lived in the same residence for over 20 years. I even got the business acct checking application where I circled the word "business". I have talked to two supervisors. They apologized saying they were really strict what they accepted and the documents I provided did not meet their requirements. I got a card from someone else and will probably cancel the Citi personal card before the yearly fee is due. I have received two emails and two letters saying they could not verify my address.

jbcarioca and Lyssa like this.
  5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    One method that seems to work is:
    1. Define business as sole proprietorship
    2. Define revenue as revenue reported on you're IRS from previous year
    3. Proof of business is just a utility bill and bank statement with regular account name as
    sole proprietorship is you!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    About a week or so ago, my wife applied for the Business card (75K) as a sole proprietor. She also received the email that they can not verify the address. We have sent in the Chase checking account business statement showing a DBA of MrsDeanT and Associates. Also sent in a copy of an online utility statement that is in the name of MrsDeanT, but not showing the "and Associates". Will be interesting to see if they approve her.

Seems like Citi approved most business cards back last year when they started the 50/100K promotion. But then they found out how many people were applying, they put the brakes on it and made the policies about needing documentation. Many Sole Proprietorships will have problems showing too much documentation because many are just the name of the person plus associates.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sole Proprietorship can be just your name not AND associates.

Thus any billing statements like phone bill, bank, etc will have just you're name only matching
    sole proprietorship name.

If you have a rental house as just one part of your business you can tell Citi you file a Schedule E with the IRS. If use onl your own name on the SChedule E thus it's a legitimate business to the IRS and should be to Citi.

Citi does not need to see your IRS returns just using that as an example for sole proprietorship where only you're name is sued not a formal business name.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are being really, really strict. I also have a real home based biz and can't seem to get the AA biz card. I sent in my bank statement that says business account with my business name. They accepted that but need two documents. Nothing else has pleased them. I sent in a phone bill for an online business phone company, they wouldn't accept it because it didn't have an account number. I sent in my schedule C page from my taxes, they wouldn't take that. They said they only take tax forms to verify a social security number, not a business name (wtf?). Then I sent in a utility bill with just my name and address and reminded them that it is a sole proprietorship/home based business. They didn't take that. Then I opened another biz checking account at another bank and sent in the forms from that bank with my business name and address. It didn't show the bank name on it, so they didn't take that. It's seems like it's d@mn near impossible to actually get a business card from them, I think you almost have to give them your firstborn or something. :mad: This has been going on for over a month.

jbcarioca, julielou2 and weinskkb like this.
  9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I'm not sure the sole proprietorship for a AA business card will work based on teh above problems.

Address verification was two sattements: bank, utility

Now you are saying this is unacceptable which is a concern.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I can confirm that they are getting very sticky on the documentation that they want for approving a card for a sole proprietorship. My wife applied and provided a bank statement that was in the name of the business but the utility bill just had her name on it. They would not accept the documentation.

Oh well, a hard pull wasted.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:

I had the same situation, but I think one of the supervisors I talked to said there would not be a pull until I provided documents which they accepted.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I asked, they said they did pull my credit already. So it was wasted for me as well. :mad:

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Seems like they do the pull right away to see if they even want to consider giving you the card. They then do the review and ask the questions. They probably feel there is no reason to ask for documentation if the person / business is not qualified financially.

By the way, I had checked and they did the pull the same day she submitted the original application.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow...you've been very persistent...any plans to continue to press the issue hoping for an approval...or are you going to let it drop?

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several of you seem to have similar problems. First, please read the fine print. This from Citi:
    https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/D...LL_BRANDS=&t=&d=&uc=&AMEX_PID_AF_CODE=&AAPID=

You must have a FEIN in order to get a Citi Business card now. Without a business tax id number, no card. Proprietorship or not, you need that number. Yu also need the business name registered. These things were not enforced very well until recently. they are now. BTW, all US issuers are being audited more often these days to ensure compliance thus the rules seem different, but really they are just enforcing ones that had been laxly enforced before.

miles and smiles and deant like this.
  16. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd - I sent my Con Ed and Fios bills and it wasn't an issue. Additionally, the business name did not match my name despite being a sole proprietorship. No special forms or anything needed.

17. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Sole Props, SSN is the business tax ID number (at least in NY)

18. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consider yourself lucky on the business card documentation. CIti has suspended the 75k/$1500 promotion from it's 800 phone number. It's debatable whether the online application works with bonus as the links works to apply but the application does not state 75k/$1500.

On FlyerTalk (FT) some people who had a legitemate business submittd bank statements with a business name and utility statements with a personal name....and claimed sole proprietorship, same SSN # and Citi rejected.

Seems inconsistent on Citi's reasoning so you were one of the luckier applicants.

Citi seems to have problems with a business address matching home address then requests more documentation now, versus two months ago Citi was not as particular with documentation.

deant likes this.
  19. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually Citi has been getting progressively stricter with their business cards over the last 4-5 months or so. When I applied (as a sole proprietor) in October 2010 they asked me for NOTHING. They just approved me and sent the card. In the following months they have get getting stricter and stricter; adding more and more requirements, asking for more documentation, being picky about the documentation, etc. This is what keeps throwing people off. In the thread on FT, people report getting the card, then a few weeks later someone else tries and there are new hurdles; a few weeks later more, etc.
    This promo has had a very long run (8 months now), but it seems to be coming to an end now.

20. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it's hard for me to take no for an answer. :) Usually in my experience I've found being persistent pays off, but not so much this time. I am tired and I think I'm just going to drop it. I just got the 100,000 mile match from Venture and will use that for a free cruise, so that is something good at least.

miles and smiles likes this.
  21. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I've learned in a year or so of accumulating miles and points is that there is always another deal/offer around the corner. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a month, but always something(s) new coming soon enough.

Lyssa likes this.
  22. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine is actually 75K and $4K in spend.

Also, I had numerous conversations with the Bank Card Center in Maryland and asked specifically what is neeed to have the card approved.

23. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    When did you apply for the business card? Through phone or link?
    Someone reported yesterday on FT they used the online link and got 75k/$1500 for the business card.

Very inconsistent story from many posters.

24. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As I mentioned earlier, earlier this month my wife applied for the business card as a sole proprietorship. Citi requested 2 pieces of documentation. A bank account statement and a utility bill (but NOT a cell phone bill). We submitted a bank account that had MrsDeanT and Associates. I assume they accepted that as it directly matched the application. For the utility bill, we submitted a bill that just said MrsDeanT. We have received a rejection with the same reason as the first letter......could not verify address etc.

Will not push it any longer because it appears that Citi will accept nothing less than documentation that matches the business name exactly.

Lyssa likes this.
  25. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some time in February, through the link. Feb 12 maybe?