Citibank 20,000 AA Miles for Amex for Existing Customers

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by schnitzel, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't remember if I found this link here or on FT, but I wanted to post my experience with it. Here's the link:

http://creditcards.citicards.com/us...1&ProspectID=CF227C59AB2E4651916DCEF65647E863

Anyway, I think this link is for an Amex when you already have an AA Visa or MC from Citi. You get 20K miles when you charge $500 in four months. Not too tough. No annual fee if you have the other card. I'm not sure if/how the accounts are linked.

Expiration is set on the page as 2/28/11.

So two of us here bit the bullet and signed up today. We were both approved. We each have a card - one V and one MC. Both got the same weird credit line. Both called to confirm, and got the same info on the phone. One didn't have a Citi AA Amex before, one currently has one.

So YMMV, but it seems like an easy way to get miles from Citi. I had even gotten a 75K biz Visa just a few weeks ago.

2. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't apply for the Amex, but it arrived in the mail along with another AA credit card yesterday. Odd, because my AA credit card doesn't expire until 2012. I'm going to call them to find out if I get 20,000 points along with it. If I don't, I'll be canceling the card

3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what happened to my friend and that's what started the whole thing. They said they couldn't give him the 20K, I found the link, he applied, and got it. So now he'll have two Amexes.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    what's the point of applying for this AMEX card as oppose to the 75k AMEX card? I think the link for the "expired" 75k AMEX is still alive. or at least the 800 phone application is still alive. Why would you wanna apply for this 20k AMEX?

5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    only reason you would want this is you can get approved for this even if you were turned down for the 75k offer. i tried the 75k offer got rejected as previous cardmember then 3 weeks later applied for this and got instant approval

TennisPro likes this.
  6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think - but I really don't know - that it's really piggybacking on to your existing Citibank AA card, and thus doesn't require a credit pull or maybe even its own credit line. This seems to have been targeted to existing members. I got denied for the Amex with the 75K deal as an existing cardholder, but this one worked. I'd rather have the 75K, but I was able to get this one. Maybe apply for that first, and take this one as a booby prize if you aren't successful?

TennisPro and miles and smiles like this.
  7. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    any data points indicating this would be a soft pull or no credit check at all?

I got two cards in the mail for my existing AA visa card. Maybe I should ignore those and apply for this one?

8. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry - but I really don't subscribe to a credit monitoring service, so I can't tell.

9. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let us know if you really get the 20K

10. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a LONG thread on FT about the CITI AA cards. Some of the 75K mile links are still active. Don't accept less. :)

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that thread, many can't get the Amex, like me, because they're existing cardholders. I've tried multiple times since the deal became active last summer. But this I got on the first try.

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you read that thread, you will discover that many existing and recent Citi AA cardholders have been denied for the 75 or 100K cards. And since we don't know what Citi's policies and offers will be in the future, 20K is a reasonable second choice for those who don't qualify for the 75/100K cards. I managed to get both the personal and business 75K, so I will pass, but I may share this offer with friends who got the 75K cards last summer. Thanks for posting this schnitzel.
    It does appear that Citi is being aggressive in making their AMEX available. Speculation I have read it is because they receive higher fees from an AMEX than they do from a Visa or MC.

PAinNY and schnitzel like this.
  13. I recently did the AA citi card and had 6 months to spend $1500, and i received 75K! What a deal, IM
    going to Rome!

14. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No question - if you get can 75K, that's the way to go.

I did recently get a 75K Visa biz card, so all in all, it's been a good month. I think I blew it by getting the one with the $4K minimum spend, but it's still not so bad.

The best part for you is: you're using the miles! Great! Rome is wonderful, and I'm using miles to get there this summer.

15. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to go for this. My only worry is that Citi might deny the 20K since the page says the offer is only valid till Feb 28.

16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I was worried too, so I called to confirm after being approved, and they confirmed.

17. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the AMEX card in the mail. Can I still apply for this one and just ignore the one I've already received?

ps, anyone can confirm the credit pull?

18. planecrashlaw
    Original Member

planecrashlaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know they did not do a credit check when issuing my tag along Amex. Got the Amex with my regular Citi card as well. Did not ask for it, and in fact if I did ask for an Amex, they would have flat turned me down, since Amex denied me a card when I applied for my company backed Amex in January. And were kind of nasty about it.

19. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So any luck getting 20k after they've sent the unapplied for AMEX? The AMEX card they sent included another (?) Visa Signature card and told me the AMEX is tied to my existing CITI account. If they'll honor the 20k bonus then I'll activate the AMEX, otherwise I'll cancel it.

The AMEX offers a whopping 1.2 AA miles/$ but are capped (not clear yet where MINE is capped) but I doubt I'll outspend or be out-awarded the 20k that the other bonus pays...

20. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just activated my 75K Visa. Awaaaayyy we go!

21. Plato90s
    Original Member

Plato90s Active Member

Status Points:
    Alas, Citi decided to send me an extra Amex attached to my existing decade+ old MC account. :(

This was after they rejected my application for an Amex card, but to be fair - I did manage to get a visa for 75k miles.

22. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Applied today since I know I won't be approved for the 75k Amex. Was referred to an online chat session to compete the application. All the rep asked was my address I used in the application. Was approved and they raised my credit limit $2,000 for some reason at the same time. Confirmed with rep that it's 20,000 miles with a $500 spend. All is good with the world. :)

23. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone confirm that their credit report was pulled when they applied for this card?

24. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if mine was pulled or not, but I was just turned down for three other cards in the past couple of weeks. The only card I have (until now) is the Citi AA Visa. When I got it, my credit score dropped through the floor since I've never had a credit card before and it looks like I've taken on massive debt while I did the $4000 spend for the bonus. Even though I pay it off every month. I was approved for this one within minutes, but I had to actually wait a few days to get approved for the Visa. So to me, it doesn't seem like they pulled my credit report. My feeling is that they just looked at my spending history with Citi, if anything.

25. lunettes noires
    Original Member

lunettes noires Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I applied and was approved over the weekend. Just checked www.annualcreditreport.com and there was as a hard pull on Experian and a soft pull on Equifax from Citi on 3/13.

sagefemme52, sun and prometheusg like this.