Citi ThankYou Premier and Preferred

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by gunit770, Jan 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Hey,

I'm pretty new to this mileage thing but I'm getting geared up and have a few questions.

1. If I already have a Citi TY Preferred card and want to get the 50K TY bonus points for getting a Premier card, can I just sign up for a new premier card and just keep my old preferred card? What I'm thinking is that I can spend $2.5K in the first three months, pick up my 50K TY points and then drop the card before I get charged with the $125 annual fee (first year waived). I would keep my old preferred card so that I can still be a part of the program and so my points won't expire. I asked Citi if they would waive the fee first year on an upgrade and they said no but what about if I keep my old preferred card and just got a new one? Also, will I get the 50K bonus?
    Thanks

TAHKUCT likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It should work. They are different cards.

TAHKUCT and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go for it. I have at least 6 Citi cards at this moment.

4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Did the same exact thing. Had the preferred for years and just signed up for the premier. The points are just sitting there now.

5. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Citi Premier bonus has dropped from 50K to 30K. Wait a few months. Bonus will probably be back up. IMHO, Chase Sapphire Preferred - still offering 50K - is a far better card but if you couldn't do Chase because of limitations, Premier wasn't a bad card to do.