Citi Thank You Premier: Getting annual fee waived second year

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by kyunbit, Dec 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to get annual fee waived for a 2nd year on the Citi Thank you Premier. Does anybody have any experience?

PointsCashMiles and murakami like this.
  2. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too am interested in this. I will have a renewal coming up to consider and no fee would make that a much easier decision.

3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been able to get this waived consecutive years in a row in one of two ways. You need to get to retentions and instead of threatening to cancel, you simply ask for a courtesy credit (be very polite and courteous). They will either oblige or they will respond with a counter offer such as, "make 5 purchases and you will receive a credit in the amount of X".

Keep in mind that some things that may make affect their decision to waive the fee is the amount of business you do with Citi such as how many cards you have, credit limits, and annual spend.

murakami likes this.
  4. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - this sounds like another great application of Wheaton's Law. I will give it a try.

malikguy likes this.
  5. romsdeals

romsdeals Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I might cancel mine to free up some credit to apply for 2 Citi AA cards, I will hit the 18 month mark in June. What do you guys think?

6. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My approach would be to apply and then if not system approved, hit the recon line. If they say you have too much open, then take the approach of cancelling accounts. But my motto is always more credit is better than less, so I like to keep accounts open. No need to cancel accounts if you don't have to. ;)

7. babykoala

babykoala New Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how it goes.

8. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was offered an annual fee credit for spending $4,500 on the card within 90 days. I was unable to produce better results on a follow up call so I canceled the account.

9. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually kept the card and spent $4500. With CVS stocking vanilla, spending on the TY Premier is a no brainer if you have flightpoints lying around.

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  10. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree - unfortunately for me, none of the 5 CVS stores near me allow Vanilla purchases with credit.

11. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am guessing the answer to my question is a big, old "no" but I will ask it anyway.

Has anyone had experience using this card to pay the taxes/fees on an award ticket and getting credit for the flight points?

12. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually yes -- I have had luck on more than 1 occasion where an award ticket earned the full points. Even for a $100 taxes + fee charge. DFW-SYD Qantas flight using AAdvantage miles comes to mind recently.

murakami likes this.
  13. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you're talking about the ThankYou Premier? Isn't this card barely 2 years old? The best retention offer I've seen extended for this product has been 10,000 points (worth $133 in travel) for $3,000 in purchases over 6 months.

14. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The offer does change from card to card as well as over time. For example, my wife and I both have Citi Gold AA cards and on one they offerred 5,000 miles with no requirements and on hers they offered 3,000 miles with $500 in purchases.

15. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's my point, the Citi AA card is not the same product as the Citi TY Premier Card. Sure you can get a few select retention offers with the AA cards, but it's best not to mislead others by claiming that you've been able to get the annual fee "waived for consecutive years" in a thread SPECIFIC to the TY Premier.

murakami likes this.
  16. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we are having a small miscommunication. I have AA cards and my wife has AA and TY cards and the offers have almost always varied across all of the cards (even similar programs). Sometimes I get a straight up offer to waive the fee and other times I am offered points or miles (respectively) for the card the annual fee was billed to. Therefore, nothing that I have stated should be misleading. As always, YMMV.

murakami likes this.