Citi Thank You Premier Card 25% discount?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jstn, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jstn

jstn Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,
    I'm planning a vacation to Disneyworld in late Aug and I had some extra thank you points on the newly converted Thank you Premier card (I was switched over, like many others from the old Premier Pass Elite). I remember on a FT thread somebody mentioned a 25% discount when you use your points to redeem for travel. Does anybody know if this discount applies when redeeming with points on my ThankYou Premier? I did a search and it showed the same points required as my Citi Forward card.

Also any hotel suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me the "25% discount" shows up automatically when doing the relevant travel searches by way of the travel search engine valuing the points at 25% more than was the case at this time last year (when used for say purchasing air travel). It's factored into the prices displayed during the search and/or payment process. The "25% discount" is actually not a discount as much as it is an increased valuation of the points by 25% when used for travel. For a period of time (that ended a few weeks back) any use of points would discount the entire travel purchase by 25%, but that was shut down and re-engineered so as to substitute out:

(1) the 25% discount for any use of any points for travel

and replace it with:

(2) a 25% increase in the value of point when used for travel.

3. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the OP was actually correct, it is a 25% discount in the point cost of travel.

This translate to a 33% increase in the value of a point (1.33 cents per TY point).

Example:
    A flight costs $280.

This would typically require 28000 points (verified in another TY account), but in my account I see offered for 21,100 points.

(28000 - 21100) / 28000 = 24.6%; representing a roughly 25% discount in the point cost.

The value of a point is now $280 / 21100 = 1.327 cents per point; roughly 1.33 cents after accounting for rounding.

4. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone is correct here. Skit is correct on the math and GUWonder is correct on the history of why it is the way it is-- and what you missed by not booking this last month :rolleyes: .

Not to get too off topic-- but, I don't know if I've ever heard whether or not TY point flights are eligible for FF miles?

5. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep they are eligible (at least the ones that I've purchased) Eg. A US air flight I purchased recently booked into S and L classes.

On the receipt it shows that the full dollar cost of the ticket was paid.