Citi running credit check then denying b/c had bonus on another card!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by estnet, Sep 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was just denied for a AA amex b/c "I had a previous bonus from AA" b/c I have a mastercard. Spoke to a supervisor who said it is a new policy that if you EVER had a bonus you can't get another one even with a different card.
    She claimed this is a new policy - anyone else have this experience?
    The part of this that really is bad is that they run a credit check FIRST, then deny the card b/c you went through a link that requires they give you bonus miles:mad:

MX, Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is interesting.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    FT has an extensive three on this. You can check it there. Not at a computer, otherwise I would post it.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one not surprised by this? really? If one believes some of the stuff being posted on these boards it does seems that the "churning charade" has gotten way out of hand in part due to the lax policies by card issuers.

There is no way you can convince me that giving a card holder 50k airline miles, for $1000 spend and no annual fee
    as a stand alone transaction can be profitable for the card issuer even if the bank is paying the airline a low half a cent per mile.

Wont be surprised to see more of this being put in place by other lenders.

5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a one off transaction, it's a losing proposition for the card issuer. It's the carrot to get one to sign up. Churners aren't a common lot, though, and I'd think for every losing proposition, they have many more who try the card and through inertia just keep it and pay the anual fee and keep their spend on it. This would pay off in the long run.

I'm certainly not surprised they will try to limit churn activity and if they can improve their business model, more power to them.

LETTERBOY, moongoddess and Kalboz like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just looking at the FT Wiki it appears to say that you just need to wait 18 months between applications - even for different types of cards Mastercard/Visa etc?

MX, edekba, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, would be interesting to know from OP how long a gap between the two apps

Singapore Flyer and Kalboz like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife was just approved for two AA cards, Visa & MC. She applied and got the Visa card for 50K AA miles and 9 days later applied for the MC for 50K AA miles and got that one too. I, on the other hand, applied and got the Visa, but was denied for the MC this morning!

edekba likes this.
  9. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Off-topic question: if more and more cards are becoming non-churnable (which seems to be the case), and manufactured spend becomes steadily more difficult, what is going to happen to the small army of travel bloggers who depend on card referral links for their income? I see some big changes in the miles and points game down the road, with many of those blogs becoming casualties...

MX, Espan, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    When was it updated. 18M was the info I knew but I knew that quite a while ago

Kalboz and Singapore Flyer like this.
  11. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and edekba like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Travel bloggers won't be affected. Credit card bloggers however... well, good riddance.

MX, thepointstraveler, Espan and 2 others like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a follow up on the above, the AA Visa is my 5th in the past 3 years, had two AA MC, and 2 AA AMEX, in addition to the Citi HH regular, and HH Reserve. I got my 3rd SPG AMEX for 30K points, and my second US Air MC for 35K miles ... so, to put it mildly, churning cards has become sweeter in recent years.

As for manufactured spending, my local drug store allows $5K purchase per day ... so, no problems there either! ;)

14. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, so your wife got both 9 days apart? When was this? I thought that was being stopped as of recently??? I got two AA visa's in late July early August (10 days apart). And my wife got the Citi HH Reserve and AA Visa during the same time. I was going to try to get a third Visa but it sounds like that is not going to get approved now based of of what others have been saying about Citi cracking down.. I was sill wondering about trying to get a 2nd AA Visa for my wife though. It would be the 3rd citi card after 90 days. 2nd AA Visa after 90 days.... I'm assuming it wont work.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Her Citi AA Visa was approved on 8/27 & the MC on 9/10, for $6500 each.

I don't think there any rhyme or reason to their approval process.

merice107 and iolaire like this.
  16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP - I was quite surprised b/c I had spoken to a rep who told me I had never had a AA amex and should apply. I think the last AA card I had applied for was over a year ago, but not sure if quite 18 months, in any case the 18 mo thing used to apply to getting the bonus on the same card not a different one. I have had more than one bonus in the past (over many years), but never did the 2 browser thing.
    I don't know if the sup. I spoke to was correct but she was very clear that this was a new policy (if you ever had any bonus on any card ever cannot get another one and I got the impression the change was in the last week or so so would be interested in others experiences).
    I can't say that I'm surprised that they've made this change esp after bloggers talking about getting 1mm in 7 days, but we're probably a small part of the universe, nevertheless there is a thread on tobb (which I read rarely now) about amex platinum making a similiar change - but they put it clearly in the terms apparently.

17. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fact that Kalboz and his wife just got multiple cards and that many people are reporting on Flyertalk that they are receiving second and third cards tells me that your experience, estnet, is the exception. Certainly it would not be the first time that a csr has made a mistake. However, it does seem obvious from reports on FT that Citi is tightening up. How tight is the question. YMMV

flyforawg, LETTERBOY, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  18. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope it was an anomaly and I did say I had friends that had multiple cards with more than one bonus - but she was quite clear that this was a "new" change.

In any case she said I'd receive a letter and depending on my mood and what it says I may try one more call.

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe a letter to citi exec office would be better. Citi recon line is notoriously difficult

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  20. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:
    My wife also got two cards about 90 days apart with the second card being in May. I just got turned down for a second card, about 1 year apart because I already had a bonus on Citi ( I have Visa, was trying for MC). So, it seems to be a crap shoot...you win some, or you don't. I guess that is 50/50! So submitted my request for a business citi AA card yesterday...will get notified by mail ...blah, blah, blah.

Now US air was another matter...we both got two cards about 4 months apart from Barclays

Kalboz likes this.
  21. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friend and co-worker just got denied for his 3rd Citi AA card (the 50k MC version) because "it was only intended for new customers". I told him to HUCB, but haven't heard yet.

Kalboz likes this.
  22. RnTTravel

RnTTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a newbie to all this and I already hold a Citi Advantage Platinum Select. I was gonna try for the Citi Advantage MasterCard and then read this thread which got me concerned since others are reporting mixed results. I did go to the Citi Advantage web site and looked at their 'Additional Information' section for their Advantage cards. Unfortunately it does clearly state the card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi Advantage account and is not available for existing card members or recent applicants for a Citi Advantage card. Interesting they also include 'recent applicants' but I can't find what they consider 'recent applicants'.

I then went to their Citi Advantage Business card page and I can't find this restriction for their business card - maybe because they only offer 1 business Advantage card. So it looks like Citi is severely limiting the 'churns' on their multiple Citi Advantage personal cards.

Another observation I made. I also have a Citi Hilton Reserve card. They also don't have this disclaimer on either of their Hilton branded cards. Makes me wonder why. Is it American Airlines who is cracking down on the mileage accumulation but why would they care if they are selling the miles to Citi? Maybe Citi noticed a lot of repeat customers opening/closing accts for the miles and not really using the card as their personal charge card - therefore eliminating the incentive to 'churn' their cards. Are the churners really 'good' customers for Citi or just using Citi for cheap miles? Just my thoughts.

As for the Hilton cards either the change in terms hasn't made it to those cards yet or they are really not being churned at the rate the Advantage cards are.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY and Kalboz like this.
  23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Human Umbilical Cord Blood :p

LETTERBOY and servo like this.
  24. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nah, man.