Citi Retention Offer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by sharris503, Aug 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the two browser trick on AA cards last year. Annual fee was coming due this month so called to cancel. For Amex I was offered a $95 statement credit (annual fee is $85) and 1,000 bonus miles if I spend $1,000. I canceled it anyway since I am at my max credit limit with citi and wanted to make room. (I have had better luck with them when I have the room as opposed to moving credit around).

For the AA Visa I was offered a $95 statement credit (annual fee $85) and double miles for 16 months on the first $750 I spend each month. That would earn me 12,000 miles if I did it for the entire 16 months. I said yes to this one.

If you have a citi card with an annual fee coming due soon I suggest giving them a call. To bypass customer service and reach the retention department directly call 1-800-444-2568. A human usually answers after first or second ring.

MLCook, curiousgeorge, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  2. aviator8

aviator8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    did this on both mine today and got 95 fee credit and 750 bonus miles each month i spend >750 for 12 months. Decided to keep to have my credit history stay open, and will barter against new cards.

Kalboz and jwsky like this.
  3. chicago_matt

chicago_matt Member

Status Points:
    Aviator was this before or after your fee had posted? Just curious ...

Kalboz likes this.
  4. aviator8

aviator8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    before

Kalboz likes this.
  5. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got offered (and Accepted) $95 statement credit for AA AMEX which was due for annual.Also offered 500 Bonus AA miles per $500 / month for 16 billing cycles (max 500 bonus AA miles/month). Up to 8k Bonus miles
    I sure love my miles :)

6. chicago_matt

chicago_matt Member

Status Points:
    Would you approx usage?

7. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:

That specific card has been in Drawer after min Spend. Go figure

8. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    My annual fee posted and I called and was offered $95 statement credit and 750 miles bonus on the first $750 spend for 12 months. I kept it for a different reason though, had an earlier offer for 5X miles in certain store spends up to a bonus of 2500 miles. So with a $750 spend for the month, I got my 4K miles. Now it will be 750 extra for 12 months for a min $750 spend.

sharris503 likes this.
  9. travelmystic
    Original Member

travelmystic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been offered a statement credit on several different cards,( Citi, Amex, Chase ) when I called to cancel them after the first year. The credits have been offered after the fee posted. I assume it much cheaper to offer a credit and some bonus miles than offering 30,000+ miles to get good new customers.

sharris503 likes this.
  10. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called citi on my AA Amex and received. $95 credit and double miles for the first 500/month for 16 months. Seem to be a standard deal with the variance of 500 vs 750. Today, I'll call about the AA visa. I actually would keep that one. Amex isn't as practical with all the other Amex options I need/can use.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

schen75 and sharris503 like this.
  11. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also got the $95 credit and 750 for 16 months on the Visa one too. :)

sharris503 and schen75 like this.
  12. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone tried with the aa biz?

13. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi retention bonus for my AA cards was poor yesterday. Either 3k miles OR $95 statement credit for 5 purchases any amount over 3 months. Past few years they've always just issued a credit in the amount of the annual fee with no card use necessary

14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but AA has increased the benefits of the card (free checked bag, 10 % rebate on miles, etc.) in the past year or so, so the card has more value than it did a few years ago.

LETTERBOY likes this.