Citi retenshun?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by de52king, Jan 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    I applied for the AA VISA/Amex 4/2012 and was approved for both. I recently called and was looking for a retention bonus for one of the cards and the rep asked what I was concerned with. I told her I did not know if the annual fee was something I was prepared to pay for the card benefits. She offered to close the card on the spot despite me asking to be transferred to the retention department. I do have several other citi cards i have been approved for this past year-a couple of which I am still working on the min spend. Should I try to call back to try again? Wait until closer to renewal time? I have read the FT thread ab retention reports, but was hoping to glean more recent experience from fellow MPers.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you actually using the cards?

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    since meeting the min spend...no. Should I use them for a few random charges, or see the writing on the wall?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would ask for the retention department immediately and not talk to the rep who answers the phone. I think you will have better luck, although they seem to be a bit more stingy with their retention offers lately.