citi Premier thankyou (also known as Premier Pass Elite) cancellation advice?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by kayjay, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently the citi PPE went through some changes and now it is called citi Premier Thankyou card. Usually my annual fee gets charged every September. When I called to activate this new card, the csr mentioned that I will be charged $75 this April 10. I really don't understand how they can change the annual fee date? She confirmed that is what showing in their system and hence I have to make a payment by April 10.

I am having this citi PPE card since 2007, but I am not using this anymore and not to pay the annual fee. Hence, I'd like to cancel this card. By canceling, I will loose my history in my credit report? 4 years is a long time and hence I don't want to cancel for the annual fee. Is there a way around it to keep the card and not pay the annual fees?

I remember vaguely that if i convert the card from citi PPE to just PP, they will not charge the annual fee. I am not sure whether it is still applicable.
    Any thoughts?

2. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you call and ask them whether downgrading to the regular PP will affect your credit history?

3. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your on the right track transferring the account to a new card name. I had a AMEX Skymiles card and the annual fee was coming up and I called AMEX who gave me four cards to choose from that I could transfer too and would not affect my credit history. Account number on the card is the same but went from AMEX Skymiles to AMEX Hilton Honors with no annual fee.

If the cancelation department won't waive the fee ask for transfer card options to preserve credit history account longevity.

kayjay likes this.
  4. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, will give a try and keep u updated.

5. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar question. I have a couple of PPE cards from a few years ago. With the Thank you points harder to get, I am not interested in paying the fee. I called today talked to CSR , I asked if I could keep my account number, but down gradeed to a no fee card.
    CSR said the could switch me to a no fee Bronze card paying AA Miles. I think I'll cash in my remaining TY points first. Might get a different offer next call.