Citi Premier Pass Elite Retention Offer

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by live2travel, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. live2travel
    Original Member

live2travel Active Member

Status Points:
    I just called Citi and told them that my renewal fee is up next month and I was thinking of canceling. I mentioned that I was unhappy with the TYN since Expdia left and that there is no longer 2 points for gas/groceries (now 1.5 points). I was looking for a statement credit for the $75 renewal fee or some thank you points. I was offered nothing by the first rep. I pushed her and stated that this is my everyday card and I do 30-40 transactions a month, I don't want to cancel but I need an incentive to stay. She then transferred me to another department where I was offered a choice between a $75 statement credit if I spent $4500 in 3 months OR 5 TYP per dollar spent for 3 months. I took the 5 TYP's, but I'm still not sure I this should be my everyday card.

Tanic likes this.
  2. I am also thinking of canceling this card, but what to do with the points that I currently have?? Besides use them to purchase flights, is there any other program to try to push them into?? Or would it be more efficient to use them to buy hotel rooms or something else?

3. Thanks for the info! I called Citi about my PPE last week and they offered me nothing to stay; looks like you have to get to retentions for an offer.

After your 5 TYP bonus is over, the earning gets pretty bleak. I wonder if they match bonus TYPs with flight points.

4. I've been burning TYP in 10k point increments, at least that way you get a 1% per point value. Marriott gift cards, and Lands End gift cards (useable at Sears and KMart) as well as a few others come in $100 denominations.

5. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am just looking for the right time to burn my remaining miles. Once I finish off my last 40k flight points, the earnings are reduced enough to finally call it quits on the TYP.

6. live2travel
    Original Member

live2travel Active Member

Status Points:
    After your 5 TYP bonus is over, the earning gets pretty bleak. I wonder if they match bonus TYPs with flight points.[/quote]

I don't see why not as they currently match bonus TYP's for gas/groceries with flight points and last year they offered me a 20% bonus on all purchases for 2 or 3 months and those bonus points were matched also.

7. upgrademe
    Original Member

upgrademe Active Member

Status Points:
    I got in on the no-annual fee PPE card a while ago, so I'm keeping the card open. I also was offered the 5x bonus points for 3 months. I have about 30k Flight points to match up.

I still like the flexibility of the TY program. Being able to use it to buy Virgin America flights or hotels comes in handy. I have the Forward card for 5x restaurants and Amazon purchases which adds up. I also earn 600 points a month from banking activity.

BTW, direct line to retention is 1-800-444-2568. I call this number every few months to inquire about bonuses. [​IMG]

8. upgrademe
    Original Member

upgrademe Active Member

Status Points:
    If you want to pick up an additional 25k TY points, I just got a letter in the mail. Offer code C23K.

Open a regular checking account by 2/28/11. Within 60 days, perform at least one of the following each month and continue for two consecutive months: DD, 2 or more billpays or 5 or more purchases with your Citi debit card.

**Offer may be targetted. Back of letter says, "This offer is available to Citi cardmembers who receive this communication."

9. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    After getting a 1099 for AA miles through a Citi account, I am wary of signing up for another bank account.

10. fll

fll

I don't see why not as they currently match bonus TYP's for gas/groceries with flight points and last year they offered me a 20% bonus on all purchases for 2 or 3 months and those bonus points were matched also.[/quote]

There are reports about retention bonuses do not match flight points since 3rd or 4th quarter last year.

Regular checking requires $6000 balance to avoid monthly fee. Or a combination of Outstanding Balances (that means you would be carrying unpaid balances on your CCs, loans of all kinds, etc) of X amount in order to avoid monthly fee.

TYP bonus DEFINITELY would generate a 1099 - it has been since 3 years ago. The Miles generating a 1099 is NEW development this year, but it seems the banks have ground to do so as the Chase UA 10K bonus offer for new checking account now has the specific language about 1099 will issue on the bonus at "fair market value".

11. I've been a Citi PremierPass card Elite level member for a while now and I called Citi a few days ago to switch the card to a no-annual fee card (Citi was switching my Elite card over to the Thank You Premier Card, which had the same annual fee). One of the reasons I got tired of the Elite card was that you had to match purchase points with flight points. In the past, I've had situations where I'd earn, say, 25000 flight points for a year but only make $15000 worth of purchases --> 15000 purchase points, which would be matched with 15000 flight points for 30000 TY points (instead of 40000 if you didn't have to match flight points with purchase points).

Interestingly, on my PremierPass statement today, I earned 18000 flight points for some flights I made last month and 3000 purchase points. I expected only to get 6000 TY points (3000 purchase matched with 3000 flight) but I got 21000! My year-to-date purchase points is only 5000 so it's not like I had excess purchase points to match the flight points.

Obviously I'm quite happy about this but this seems like a marked change from before. Anyone else had this experience? I wonder if my calling them to change my card to a no-annual fee card made them change the rules for me, but it seems more likely that this is a mistake (not one that I'm going to point out to them, of course).

Thanks,
    chucka

P.S. As an aside, I also noticed that the Thank You Rewards just got better in the last few days - they're now offering $100 gift cards for Best Buy and Bed Bath and Beyond, whereas last month, there were only $50 gift cards.

12. krsnad

krsnad Active Member

Status Points:
    After having this card for two years now, I am pretty unhappy with it. Transferring flight points based on purchases is too slow. Last year we flew around 40k or 50k miles on this card and we didnt spend that much on the card, so we only ended up with around half of them.

The reasons to keep this card keep getting smaller and smaller, especially after their recent changes to how many points you get for purchases.

I am planning to get rid of it and moving away in general from Citibank.