Citi Platinum Select Mastercard Considered "Different Card" than Visa or Amex?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by nonstopski, Jan 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had/have the Citi AAdvantage Amex and Visa, from when you could apply for both on the same day and get two bonuses :D.

I see the 50k bonus currently and wonder If the MC would be considered a different card?

Maybe it doesn't matter, since I applied for both on January 2013. Meaning it has been 18 months since I applied!

Kalboz, jbcarioca and traveler like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the Visa and MC are two different products. I have both. I also have the Exec AA Visa. I don't have the AA Amex but my understanding is that it's not a true AMEX just one issued by Citi as a companion to the MC so you can use the AMEX system for payments but can't access the regular AMEX rewards, etc. I'm sure there are bigger experts on this forum that can give you a better answer.

I guess I would say you are safe to apply for the MC but don't be shocked if they reject you. You can apply for the Exec World Elite MC if you don't already have one. It gives you access to the AA lounges but does have a high annual fee. You can apply for the US Airways Barclay card if they haven't cut that off yet. I have two of these. Those miles will turn into AA someday.

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  3. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    "I see the 50k bonus currently and wonder If the MC would be considered a different card?" I am in a similar situation and got the MC about 3 weeks ago (instant approval). I should get a statement on the 10th. I will let you know if the bonus posts. I have had a Citi AA Mastercard prior.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    jbcarioca likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Historically they have been different cards and you could get points for all three.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:

"I will let you know if the bonus posts."

My statement just closed and the 50K bonus posted!:D:)

jbcarioca and akcae like this.
  6. zunixaani

zunixaani New Member

Status Points:
    Unlikely it'll do anything for you wrt Delta miles. But you can in particular convert those Virgin Atlantic miles to twice as many Hilton points, if that's anything to you. So 65,000 VA miles would become 130,000 HH points. Four days at a nice but not great hotel.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three technical points:
    1. The American Express card system has two "true" versions: A) ones issued by American Express (or American Express subsidiaries in some countries). Those come in numerous flavors in Corporate, Business, Personal versions and Blue, Green. Platinum, Centurion and Reserve versions with Charge or revolving features. there are more versions and slightly different permutations country by country. A slightly bizarre offshoot of all this ridiculous complexity is the Reserve cards, issued by American Express as cobranded cards, priced as premium Platinum equivalent products but with no Membership Rewards, using cobranded partner benefits instead.These are co-brands such as Delta and SPG, among others. They also offer less exalted choices than the high-fee Reserve cards.
    2. Then there are licensed issuers, which include most major card-issuing banks worldwide. They come in many permutations also, but exclude the Centurion version and almost always Membership Rewards. They also do not usually have American Express promotion eligibility, even when they are Platinum.

I hope all that helps clarify the alternatives.

3. It remains to be seen exactly how the Barclays US Airways cobranded points resolution will be handled. Barclays, not US Airways, owns these card accounts. Barclays buys points from US Airways. How they will deal with the migration is a highly complex legal issue because Barclays paid legacy US Airways a high price for exclusivity, as did Citicorp for legacy American Airlines. This may have been resolved in full, but I have not seen any documentation to confirm that this has happened. Possibly someone else knows this for certain.

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not see the Citibank AMEX card in the offerings for years now :confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    same here...

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC Citi does issue American express cards in Asia,
    But i think I recall that the have discontinued all American Express Card issuance in Europe and South American. They have sold many portfolios, including in countries where they held relative dominance (e.g. Brazil) and eliminated many specific partnerships but seem to haver reinforced their strongest ones (AAdvantage above all, of course) . I know this information is publicly available but I did not look it up.

Kalboz likes this.