Citi HHonors Reserve Card

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by davef139, Jul 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    PedroNY, Kalboz and tommy777 like this.
  2. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a great move by Citi to bring a new Premium Hilton card to the table that has such a bucketful of benefits.

As for your inquiry on AMEX matching the offer.

AMEX didn't exactly come out guns a blazin' when Ultimate Rewards started making big gains so i can't see this new Hilton card awakening the slumbering beast either.

Or I could just be talking out of my @$$ and we will just have to wait and see.

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok did some comparisons..

10/$1 at Hiltons
    5/$1 on airline and rental
    3/$1 everything else

AMEX:
    9/$1 at Hiltons
    6/$1 on gas/grocery/drug/wireless/cable/internet
    3/$1 everything else

Firstly Signup bonuses
    CitiV: 2 weekend night certs for $2500 in spend
    AMEX: 40k Bonus + 20k for $3000 in spend

Both have a diamond after $40k, but Citi always gives Gold, obvious winner is Citi.

Annual Fee:
    Citi: $95
    AMEX: $75

Foreign Transaction Fee:
    Citi: None
    AMEX: Fee: 2.7% (I think)

Annual/Other Benefits:
    Citi:
    10k spend is a free weekend night
    VISA Sig Benefits
    Amex:
    Free priority pass membership
    AXON awards
    Online Booking Boonus
    Both:
    Travel Assistance
    Lost Luggage
    Rental Insurance
    Purchase Protection
    Ext Warr

Ok so my overall assesment says, Surpass is old news now as the Visa is about better in every aspect. The fact that it is a Visa also means acceptance is going to be much higher then an AMEX, I spend about $6k a year at a place that doesn't take AMEX and this would be great as I value my HHonors points somewhat higher, my last redemption was over 3c/point. Not to mention $95 for free Gold status is pretty cheap considering the benefits given to Golds.
    Can anyone give feedback on Visa Sig benefits I know they have some fine hotels program.

Kalboz and edekba like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I currently have the regular Amex HHonors card and was thinking of upgrading to the Surpass next year to extend the Gold I am getting this year through $20k spend.

My new plan currently is to keep the existing regular HHonors card (free) and add the Citi VISA to my line-up, primarily to get Gold with no effort. But it's not urgent and I hope that after the initial rollout they'll offer first-year-free fee waivers.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good strategy, that's about what's on my radar screen, but not for this year or next because if you qualified for gold this year, it's good until something like March of 2014.

Also Gold with Hiltons has always been easy to get.... Have you looked at some of the fast track methods to get gold discussed on FT -- for example you might be able to stay at a Hampton just a few times at a deep discount rate......?

and one free stay at a deep discount rate has about the same value as the 95 you're going to have to spend each year to have the card.

DTWBOB

Kalboz likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, I won't get it right away unless I find a good use for the two weekend nights.

I got Gold this year through one of those offers. Yes, Gold is relatively easy to get, but I'd be okay with paying $95 for Gold and a free night (with $10k spend) and no further effort on my part.

PedroNY and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  7. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great Discussion here.

I actually like this card from it's signup bonus to comped gold status.

I think it beats the AMEX Surpass in many ways and the AXON awards may be the only reason to hesitate jumping ship to the Reserve card.

Reserve vs Surpass.png

TAHKUCT and Kalboz like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many Surpass 40k Daimond qualifiers have been getting an extra year status ie they qualify in Sept 2011 and the normal status expiration would be March 2013 but instead they are Diamond until March 2014 I know of at least three family/friend have gotten this twice in addition to myself... until there is evidence that this is happening with the Citi card no changes for me.
    In any event the points gotten by regular use between the two cards is a wash.
    Redeem two AXONs annually and you have the free night/$10000.00 spend covered.:)

Kalboz likes this.
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question
    Is there a list of participating hotels?

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's not yet a list of participating/non-participating hotels for the free weekend night cert.

What I've been told is:
    * No cap, they can be used for any Hilton HHonors category
    * Weekends only, which mean Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights (so Sunday nights ARE considered weekend nights)
    * Expire one year from date of issue (I haven't seen the cert yet, assume must be USED BY rather than just RESERVED by then)

Non-participating hotels are all-inclusive properties and properties without standard rooms, somewhere between 30 and 40 hotels in the Hilton system total.

iolaire likes this.
  11. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got both the regular no-fee Hilton AMEX and the no-fee Citi card.

After our recent European vacation where I got waaaaaay more than $95 value out of Hilton Gold status, I think my Citi card may just get upgraded...

12. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    All in all it is a good card. I will probably get it, just not at this moment as it does not fit well with the timing - almost done with the requirement for Gold via Amex spend which should cover me till Dec 2013, and plans for vacation next year already covered using other free nights so don't have much use for the free nights now.
    Unless they will come up with annual fee waiver for the first year, I'll get the card early in 2014 (yes, I know I plan way in advance).

13. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    iolaire and Miles like this.
  14. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the only thing missing from Surpass is the Gold status for as long as you have the card. There have been some reports of AMEX sending out a survey asking if comped Gold status is a perk they'd like to see on the Surpass. If that ever comes to fruition, I think comped Gold status plus AXON is the way to go.

travelpye likes this.
  16. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about having the HHonors Reserve (Citi) along with the no-fee version from American Express? One could really rack up points that way (I have the Reserve by Citi). I know I am stating the obvious. ;)

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's likely going to be my plan for some time next year. I have the no-fee Amex right now.

merice107 likes this.
  18. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    My plan also (except I have the Reserve but will get the no-fee version from AmEx).

19. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely planning on this as well just as soon as I'm due for some credit card signups

20. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was a list of non-participating properties ever made?

21. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not that I've seen.

22. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    My plan was to re-qual Gold head-in-bed this year and secure the Reserve card late next year if 2013 wasn't looking promising to re-qual for 2014. However, some dumb decisions on my part early in the year (shakes fist in Expedia's general direction) combined with some work cancellations late in the year have resulted in me sitting here on 7 December still four stays away.

I was hoping not to do another churn until June 2013, so as to drop off a few inquiries (I've been scanning the various success stories on getting approved for the Club Carlson card), but I suppose that it's far more logical to just suck it up and grab the Reserve now rather than try and cram four mattress runs into the last few days of December.

Any commentary?

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I renewed Gold with Amex spend, and my plan for next year is to get the Reserve card towards the end of the year. I would not spend money and time on four MR stays to get Hilton Gold if I could get the card instead.

24. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting the card really does seem like the more logical option, doesn't it?

Thanks for the opinion.

25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points: