Citi HHonors Reserve $10K Free Weekend Night... still good if I cancel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Mar 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    All the blog posts I saw about this bonus for $10K spend said it wouldn't post until N weeks after my annual fee hit, I got it a few days ago, and the fee shouldn't hit until the 23rd. As I'm thinking about cancelling the card, I'm left wondering if the certificate will vanish in thin air if I do that.

I think it won't. The certificate doesn't say that. It is a bonus for the $10k in spend on the card, not for paying the fee.

But I can't find anything specific on the web. Anybody know?

Last year I spent the 10k at Hiltons mostly, and that was pretty easy. This year I'm not staying at Hiltons much because of the deval and while I may go for Diamond anyway for a particular stay next year, I'll probably hack it with 30 one night stays so won't get anywhere close to 10K out of that.

For the Hilton stays I do have, I have an AUTH on my wife's Surpass (waiting until the 1 year anniversary to reapply, assuming its possible to get the bonus again which it may not be given it will be after May 1). Anyway, I have options to get decent return on my stays regardless.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bonus will be for last year's spend and the annual fee is for next year's card membership, therefore I do not see any relations between the two. You have already earned the bonus for spending $10K. They cannot deny you that for deciding to cancel the card after earning the bonus. The preceding presupposes that I understood the timeline correctly.

gconnery likes this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that's what I think too. Gonna cancel tomorrow probably. Waiting to confirm my Citi AA Exec #2 before doing it.