Citi Extra Cash Uses

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by snapper, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. snapper
    Original Member

snapper Active Member

Status Points:
    Back before I started paying better attention to CC points/rewards, I was a sucker who used a Citi card that earned 'Extra Cash'. You can purchase items from the extra cash portal with a combination of real money and a set amount of extra cash - example buy a DVD for $3 extra cash, $4 real.
    I have found that the amount after the extra cash discount is applied is never cheaper than the same item being bought elsewhere (amazon, target, etc..).

I still have about $2000 in 'extra cash' and I was wondering if anyone ever found a good use for it? They do offer discount giftcards - $500 Macy's for $50 extra cash, $450 real - but even then I don't really have a need to spend that much at Macy's.

2. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too had this card some years back when I was building up my credit and qualified for their Platinum Select card which had Extra Cash.

unfortunately, its a mostly useless program. The gift cards are really the only valuable redemption option, and not a great deal at that. Dont bother getting any of the items they offer, except for their "daily deal" (which is usually some kind of junk), most things available on the site are overpriced to start with, as you've already found out.

I ended up getting Avis certificates and then closed out the account back in 2007.

3. live2travel
    Original Member

live2travel Active Member

Status Points:
    I pretty much only use my "extra cash" for magazines. There are alot of good magazines you can get for $5 after you apply the "extra cash".