CITI BANK AA VISA - 10% FF Point Reduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by euromannn, Feb 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I renewed my AA CITI Bank VISA card and was told when booking AA Award travel with AA & using the Citi AA Credit Card:
    1. $25 charge is waived
    2. 10% reduction in FF miles is given back by Citi Bank 6-8 weeks later.

CITI BANk is sending me a letter confirming the CIti AA VISA card perks:
    1. Free first bag
    2. 10% FF point reduction
    3. 2 points for very $1 spent on Advanatage products

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have the link to that offer waiving the $25 phone charge?

Efilon87 and Kalboz like this.
  3. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was told verbally by the AA rep. When I questioned how the 10% FF miles were to be detected she stated that it had to done on the phone to get the 10% off(must have Citi CC VISA)....thus they waive teh $25 since you must book on phone.

Get me the writing, PLEASE!!!

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten the 10% mile rebate in about a month after award booking either online or by phone. I've never seen a sig. visa offer that gets you the phone fee waiver. Perhaps you're an AAdvantage EXP, so the waiver is unrelated to your CC.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    NO.

I am just a low level AA FF member. re-read what I wrote. It was communicated to me verbally.
    SO need to double check but had I made a booking the rep was willing to waive teh $25 and provide 10% reduction on FF miles.

6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    You seem to have confused what I said into a Citi Bank issue.

I merely posted what Cit and AA have told me.

7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you buy miles from AA online and use the Citi Bank credit card, then Citi will after 6 weeks after flight refund 10% miles to AA.

So, the AA rep was wrong regarding the $25 fee waiver! But the 10% reduction is valid promo.

8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I get it now, your renewal of the Citi Visa card was a different transaction that when you were redeeming for an award with AA at some other time. I got them confused at first thinking they were all the same. I like mileage discounts as much as the next traveler.

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy,
    Yes, two different transactions:
    1. Redeem miles from AA.com and pay for taxes/fees with Citi Bank AA VISA card.
    2. Citi Bank 6-8 weeks later send 10% of mileage purchased for ticket back to card members AA account.

It was confusing as AA rep's DID NOT understand the promotion. Thus getting 10% mile reduction is solely a promotion by CIit Bank.

ex: 40,000 FF miles to go SEAttle-Paris(off season)
    1. Book at AA online web site and pay for taxes/fees with Citi AA VISA card.
    2. Citi calims the trip will automatically show up in the Citi computer system and 6-8 weeks later 10%(4,000 FF miles) will be sent by Citi to AA.

I was initially only told part of the process on how to redeem the 10% miles used to purchased an AA award ticket. AA was clueless which is now understandable as Citi controls the 10% reduction miles.

The maximum miles allowed to get back from Ciit Bank is 10,000 miles per year.

Again, this is verbally explained to me by several rep's not confirmed in writing!

But, after encountering Jenel I know I will need backup power so I will demand the offer in writing!!!!!!

10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading this I am wondering if the two reductions are being confused.

The normal, been around a while, Citi Reduced Mileage Awards are actually a 10% discount, and since you used to get the phone charges waived since the Reduced Mileage Awards could not be done on line, so the Citi Rep may have been citing that.

The 10% on Award rebate for the Credit Card is based on the level of the Credit Card (World Platinum at $95/year) and I don't think that gives the Phone Credit.

11. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maps,
    Different AA rep's tell different stories on waiving the $25 phone fee when booking nileage award and paying with Ciit Bank VISA card.
    10% Reduced Mileage has been around for a while I just figured it when I renewed my Citi VISA card.

SO, you seem to have gotten the $25 phone fee waived when booking which si consistent with my original post but when I recalled in a different rep told me NO fee waived for phone purchase.

Go figure.

12. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Rereading the original post. It seems that the phone rep was talking about the reduced mileage awards and then the letter was about the Platinum card. which also gives 10% rebate of miles but you have to pay to book on the phone.

As you say, Different reps will give different responses. Usually based on the experience level of the reps.
    (I really miss the Tucson Call Center for AA)

13. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is what I know based only on my Citi BANK VISA card:
    1. $25 phone fee when booking a mielage award with AA may or may not be waived.
    2. 10% Reduction comes as a rebate from Citi Bank...AA has no involvement and comes 6-8 weeks after purchase of miles and taxes/fees paid with Citi Bank VISA card.

I do not know what the platinum card is but I have Citi Bank Signature VISA card and it qualifies for the 10% Reduction.

Thanks for your feedback as it's obvious AA is not on top of this issue giving multiple responses on $25 phone fee waiver.