Citi Aadvantage Platinum retention offer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by tulane09, Jan 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called to cancel my citi aadvantage platinum (fee due next month). Wasn't trying to get any offer since I literally haven't used it since I spent $3,000 for the bonus last april. Was offered out of the gate $95 statement credit and 1,000 points every month for 16 months when I spend $1,000 on the card. Not much but I'll keep the CL and open account another year for free. And I'll get a few thousand extra miles along the way. Definitely was pleased. Probably could've pushed for more, but was happy at how easy this was.

Update: while citi was awesome, Amex was the opposite (first time bad experience with them). Called to cancel my platinum mercedes because of the dropping of American lounge access. Had a very rude rep from the beginning. She asked how many times I use the lounges and I answered truthfully (3-4 times last year, alone and with guests, saving $100+ while not great is good when coupled with the other benefits). All the rep said to that was "you can change your airline credit to American and do it that way, I see you have Southwest selected." I replied "I value the lounge benefit specifically because I fly Southwest." Then she basically got me off the phone as fast as possible. Not expecting a retention offer or anything, but the rep was just plain snarky.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    euromannn, jbcarioca and jwsky like this.
  2. karlmitchell

karlmitchell Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Amex customer services have had a lot of unhappy customers calling over the Amex Platinum, thanks to the lounge program changes. I can kind of understand why they might be feeling a little stressed by the whole thing if that's all they're dealing with, day in, day out.

euromannn and jbcarioca like this.
  3. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

I just got the same offer:
    1. Annual fee($95) waived
    2. 1,000 points every month for 16 months when I spend $1,000 on the card each billing cycle.

Cit bank is very good having given me a special extension on the annual fee twice!

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get the same retention offer every year - annual fee refunded after I use the card for five transactions (no minimum amounts). I've had the card five years now and I consider it to be a no fee card because Citi makes it so easy to retain.

tondoleo and euromannn like this.
  5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish capital one would throw nice offers like Citi.

Will the waive Visa and AMEX cards same year? Citi Bank is a good place to do business with!

6. LoneTree

LoneTree Active Member

Status Points:
    Capital One waived my Venture fee last time.

7. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I just got the Citi Exec MC and am working off the spend, was figuring I'd just cancel my Citi AA Plat, as they were fairly redundant. Now, I might just have to keep both open.

8. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't cancel your Platinum because of the 10% back when redeeming miles up to 10K...as well as the retention a discussed above :)

9. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Capital One has waived my Venture Fee for two years now.