Citi AAdvantage - IRS Form 4506-T

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by livefastdiefun, Jul 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    First time, long time.

I applied for the Citi AAdvantage Visa & Amex cards with the 75k signup bonus a few weeks ago and today I got a notice saying that they need me to send in an IRS 4506-T form.

Has anybody done this before? What is is used for? Is it possible to get approval (speaking to a rep) without sending in the form.

Thanks!

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A 4506-T is a request for a copy of your tax return. My guess is that they need to corroborate the information in your application.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was instantly approved for the Visa and got a request for this form with the Amex. I was totally honest on my Citi application (I did them at the same time using the same information), but I think this is a lot to ask just for a credit card. Your choice though! Good luck!

Kalboz, jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This must mean that they need to verify non-salary income such as alimony or consulting earnings. I would think that it would be SOP for the self-employed.

6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, got worried for a second that they may be issuing tax forms like the checking/savings (?) accounts.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got that one too, they hit your credit and then ask you this, and if you read the letter it will say they will hit your credit *again* i called the number and wanted to know why? the CS just kept repeating the data isn't complete (could be because I have gotten a few CC's lately?) anyway, i asked the CS to cancel my application, one month later i reapplied and got accepted.

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  8. livefastdiefun

Status Points:
    thanks for all the great responses and all your help. I'm currently on the road (international) for the next couple months and messing around with IRS forms isnt in the cards. Looks like Ill probably cancel both apps and then reapply later.

Most likely had to do with me being self employed.

Thanks again!

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

Isn't this just a simple form that authorizes the IRS to release copies of your filed tax forms to a third party? I don't think it asks for much more than your tax ID number(s), name, and address.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcom MSPeconomist,
    You are correct, but my main concern was them hitting my credit again even after they hit it first time when i applied, then the IRS form, then again, personally did not like that choice.

11. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This actually happened to me. I don't remember they pulling my credit twice - although that was stated on their letter. i sent in the 4506-T - was finally approved for the card. BTW, this happened last year around Nov. when i applied for the cards. hope this helps.

12. pyk
    Original Member

pyk Active Member

Status Points:
    Does the address on your application match with the address listed on all of your credit reports?

Citi usually gets particularly fussy if the addresses don't match. In the past when my addresses hadn't matched due to some moving around (I hadn't caught on yet) Citi requested all sorts of crazy things to verify my identity. Tax forms, utility bills, and they once even called my employer (without me giving them the phone number)...

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. This is all it is.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be a Form 1099.

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a one page form that asks for your name, address, ssn and signature. This could easily be filled out anywhere in the world without access to your records at home.

You've probably already had the hard pull on your credit file. If you don't open the account, credit models could assume you were denied. Withdrawing your application seems like the worst of all outcomes at this point.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. livefastdiefun

Status Points:
    thanks for the advice. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to follow through. I actually do want the cards so this might be a better step than just withdrawing my applications.

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you really want the card(s), then you definitely should. Here's the form. It will take 1 minute to do.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf