Citi AAdvantage- 10% Awards Booking Rebate Posts Immediately

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MLW20, Jan 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Last year Citi and American Airlines added some interesting perks for credit card holders.

There was one thing that really stood out: Earn Miles for Using Miles:
    Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage miles back- up to 10,000 AAdvantage miles each calendar year.

This sounded like an amazing offer. How could you go wrong with getting back miles for using them! The only negative to the offer was that the mileage rebate was capped. To make this a true 10% back offer, I'd like to try to not redeem more than 100,000 AAdvantage miles in any given year. By doing so I could earn the full rebate.
    [​IMG]
    I was looking to set up my travel plans for most of 2013 early this year so I had an idea. If I could get an AA award booking done before 2012 was over, maybe I could earn the 10% rebate for 2012 and 2013 (if I decided to book another flight with AAdvantage miles).

Prior to booking an awards flight on AA, I called up the AAdvantage Gold phone line. I asked for information about how the credit card mileage rebate worked. The customer service rep wasn't so sure about this offer. However, he did guess that I would be credited back my 10% after I took the actual flight, not at the time of booking the flight.

The rep's answer made sense. What a bummer! I was hoping that I could book a flight, earn my miles refund immediately and still qualify for this same offer in 2013.
    [​IMG]
    Fast forward to a couple of days ago. I was checking my AAdvantage account balance online. While checking recent activity I noticed a couple of thing:
    1. Mileage for the AA flight that I booked for the end of June had been deducted from my account on 12/20/12. The miles were deducted in two 50,000 mile increments.
    2. I earned 10,000 miles for the Citi 10% Awards Bonus, also credited on 12/20/12.
    This was amazing news! Now if I decide to book another AA award flight in 2013 I will still be eligible for the 10% mileage refund (up to 10,000 miles in a calendar year).

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI: I'm not seeing any bounus points for an award I booked and canceled. ;-(

perryplatypus and MLW20 like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Glad to see you got your rebate. :)

I wouldn't exactly label this as "news" though. People have been discussing the rebate and the fact that AA posts it to your account and backdates it to your redemption date since the offer started in April/May last year. See this thread: LINK.

4. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to send several emails to get my 10k from my award booking last year. I waited two months just to make sure it was past 6-8 weeks, in case they threw that BS at me.

perryplatypus likes this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like a good way to earn extra miles. Book an award, cancel within 24 hours, earn rebate... lol
    I agree that it is not breaking news. However, I had not read that you get your rebate prior to flying your award flight. I must've missed a thread on this. When I called AA to find out about this, they also told me they thought that I had to wait until I fly to see the miles sent back to my account.
    Wow- sounds like a pain. I guess my wife and I were very lucky. We saw our rebate miles posted with 2 weeks of booking our flight. The flight isn't until June so it was nice to see the miles so fast!

perryplatypus likes this.
  6. sal2009

sal2009 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've read that most people don't have a problem with this and I didn't for the first ticket...i booked two award F tickets on CX for 67500 each...one for me and one for my partner but only one 10% credit showed up on my account for 6,750. anyone else have this issue? does the ticket need to be issued for you personally in addition from your miles to get the rebate? and who do i contact, citi or aadvantage for the balance? and if they post now, am i screwed for an additional 10,00 this year or will they backdate it...

7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got my 10k rebate within a month or so of a +100k award, which was right after the offer was announced. within a few months, a number of people also reported getting rebates pretty quickly. Sorry to see reports above that some have had problems, but I think for most people it's very smooth.

AA agents aren't experts in the CC programs, so I wouldn't go by what they saw. AAdvantage CS would be a better bet, I think. Hard to imagine why the agent thought the rebate would be linked to flying, since for awards flights, the actual flight is a non-event.

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rebate should be linked to the account spending the miles. I'd contact AAdvantage Customer Service.

9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this offer still valid in 2013? Do I need to sign up for it?

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's valid every calendar year as long as you hold a CC that qualifies. No need to sign up for it, it's an automatic benefit of having the CC.

karung99 and foxberg like this.
  11. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I cancelled mine, but my GF has one. Maybe if there's a deal good enough I'll jump on it again in April.

12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish they would just do the simple discount like US air does and not cap it.

13. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I owed 2 Citibank cards do I get 2X10K back if I booked 200K?
    I already got my first 10K credit... just checking if any of you ever get extra with different cc

14. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I understand, each AAdvantage member gets one rebate per year. That would be nice if it was per card though!